• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency advice

Hi all,

I have been off sick for a few weeks now with quite a personal reason....I have not been able to hand in notice to the end client due to this, I have explained that I am ill and this is why I have not been able to hand in my notice. The agent is asking me to provide a clear justification as to why I cannot return to work but the nature of my illness is quite personal and I feel really uneasy about disclosing details. Any advice?

Surely you just have to give notice as per your contract and you don't need to give any details...

If you mean sick notes, then that seems like a very permie thing to be talking about...

Comment

Originally posted by Pherlopolus View Post
      Surely you just have to give notice as per your contract and you don't need to give any details...

If you mean sick notes, then that seems like a very permie thing to be talking about...
      Thats the thing, I wasn't able to give notice and had explained this was due to my illness but the agent wants a specific reason to get back to the client with.

Comment

Originally posted by CONTRACTOR909 View Post
        Thats the thing, I wasn't able to give notice and had explained this was due to my illness but the agent wants a specific reason to get back to the client with.
        Make something up.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Hi all,

I have been off sick for a few weeks now with quite a personal reason....I have not been able to hand in notice to the end client due to this, I have explained that I am ill and this is why I have not been able to hand in my notice. The agent is asking me to provide a clear justification as to why I cannot return to work but the nature of my illness is quite personal and I feel really uneasy about disclosing details. Any advice?
          lie

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
            lie
            twat

Comment

You don't hand notice in to your client. You have no contractual relationship with your client. It's with the agency. Why don't contractors get this?

You work on a T&M basis so there is no need to provide any medical justification. You were unable to work. That's that. They can however terminate you on the spot if you've not contacted them. There will be something in the contract about contacting the agency before X time if you can't come in and you didn't so technically you've breached.

What outcome are you expecting? You wanting to be paid your notice period because that's not going to happen because of clauses in your contract again.

Just tell them you are done. Terminate you on the spot and ask for any payments for days you worked that are outstanding, although good luck with that.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You were too sick to write an e-mail or make a phone call? In theory giving notice still requires you to fulfil your contract obligations until the end of the notice period, if you can't/don't you might be liable to pay compensation depending on the contract and how the Agency feels about enforcing it.

You don't have to give any details to the agency. Just that the YourCo original resource is no longer available you can quote "medical reasons" if you like. Explaining what actually happen can help with the client/agency letting you "off the hook", as most agents are still human beings.

Comment

twat
                  that was my advice, not a summary of your post

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
                    that was my advice, not a summary of your post
                    He's certainly got you sussed pretty quickly though lol.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X