• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tech Mahindra 2 Year Contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tech Mahindra 2 Year Contract

Hi Guys - I have been offered a PM role with TM for 2 years at £350/day for a client in Bedfont Lakes. This is on the low side of what I have gotten over the last 5 years or so (typically £450 to £500). I have tried to negotiate upwards but have been told that because of the duration there is no movement - is this just a ruse to cap the rate - I think it is but am prepared to be convinced otherwise. I have made a point of asking if this was a FTC - to which "no" was the answer....so what gives?

Small alarm bells are ringing - namely that although I would be contracted to TM, it is via a low cost Indian body shop agency...so will I get paid promptly. My previous contracts are 3 months max (although they usually roll-over for 18/24 months) - does anyone else have experience of this setup? My gut reaction is to take the role but keep looking elsewhere....not my usual modus operandi but am nervous of getting drawn in to what could be a messy arrangement. I don't have the actual paperwork yet so don't know what the exit terms are but will update this once I have more info.

Regards
    //xenon

Originally posted by Xenonwave View Post
    Hi Guys - I have been offered a PM role with TM for 2 years at £350/day for a client in Bedfont Lakes. This is on the low side of what I have gotten over the last 5 years or so (typically £450 to £500). I have tried to negotiate upwards but have been told that because of the duration there is no movement - is this just a ruse to cap the rate - I think it is but am prepared to be convinced otherwise. I have made a point of asking if this was a FTC - to which "no" was the answer....so what gives?

Small alarm bells are ringing - namely that although I would be contracted to TM, it is via a low cost Indian body shop agency...so will I get paid promptly. My previous contracts are 3 months max (although they usually roll-over for 18/24 months) - does anyone else have experience of this setup? My gut reaction is to take the role but keep looking elsewhere....not my usual modus operandi but am nervous of getting drawn in to what could be a messy arrangement. I don't have the actual paperwork yet so don't know what the exit terms are but will update this once I have more info.

Regards
    //xenon
    Few few day rates for Indian outsourcers go over £350pd. I would want to look at the contract before saying yes as agencies have been known to tell porkies to get you to agree to take it.

Will you need to work away from home? Expenses could eat massively into that £350 as well...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

What does the contract say about you being able to leave early? If you are on a three month contract and its awful then you can stick it out to the end, but being stuck there for two years if its really bad doesn't sound very good. Particularly at a low rate.

If your job market tanks, then that rate could be good. If the market booms (and post Brexit why wouldn't it?) then being stuck on a low rate will suck.
      First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

We haven't even got in to the IR35 problems......
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

May I refer you to the advice given here: http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...ancy-rate.html. Specifically replies 2, 3, 5, 8, 17 and 19.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Small alarm bells are ringing - namely that although I would be contracted to TM
            Big alarm bells ringing when i hear Tech Mahindra....

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              Few few day rates for Indian outsourcers go over £350pd. I would want to look at the contract before saying yes as agencies have been known to tell porkies to get you to agree to take it.

Will you need to work away from home? Expenses could eat massively into that £350 as well...
              I will but this is manageable....but not ideal. I haven't seen the contract yet...watch this space.

Cheers
              //X

Comment

Originally posted by RonBW View Post
                What does the contract say about you being able to leave early? If you are on a three month contract and its awful then you can stick it out to the end, but being stuck there for two years if its really bad doesn't sound very good. Particularly at a low rate.

If your job market tanks, then that rate could be good. If the market booms (and post Brexit why wouldn't it?) then being stuck on a low rate will suck.
                Yep - which is why I am nervous about this one. As of writing I haven't seen the contract so don't know about leaving early...but I would have thought (ulp!) the worst it could be is 1 months notice. Whatever it is I'll need to make sure the terms are reciprocal.

Cheers
                //X

To be fair, (I'm a balanced guy - a chip on both shoulders), the end client would look good on my CV.

Comment

Regards
                  //xenon
                  @Xenonwave, They [Tech Mahindra] can afford to pay you your asking contract rate for the privilege "Revenue at ? 6,701 crore; up 16.5% YoY and 1.3% QoQ" (Source: https://careers.techmahindra.com/for...?NewsId=LN0010 )

FFS ... Would a permie trade off his or her salary if their employer guaranteed that their employment would be not be fired (or face redundancy) after X years? It's nonsense. As @NLUK has said several times, your contract is only worth the notice period. If your notice period is, say, 3 months on this 24 month contract. It may be worth a punt rather twiddling your thumbs: £350 * 20 * 3 is a lot better than £0.0 * 20 * 3 when you are on the bench.

Comment

I worked at a client site where there were a lot of tech mahibdra contractors. They all had major issues getting paid on time and that was without the complication of another agency

Comment

Working...
                    X