• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looking to get into contracting but not sure about rates?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You want to be looking at temping agencies as an unskilled help desk bod.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      You want to be looking at temping agencies as an unskilled help desk bod.
      I guess then I need consultants to sell my CV. A daily rate of 80/d or 11/hr just about hits 19k pa which I earned before, so I guess I'll match then rise. Anything less and I'm really selling myself more than is sustainable.

I'm not filled with hope but if it works out you guys have my thanks I guess

Comment

You did an apprenticeship at a law firm and all you did was end up on first line? Boy they pulled your pants down good and proper didn't they.

Comment

Originally posted by henryhooverville View Post
          I guess then I need consultants to sell my CV. A daily rate of 80/d or 11/hr just about hits 19k pa which I earned before, so I guess I'll match then rise.
          An oft quoted rule of thumb is divide your salary by one thousand and that should be your hourly rate, so something like £145 per day.

However it's a bit academic as generally the client sets the rate and normally it would be a lot more than that.
          "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

FTFY
            Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
            An oft quoted rule of thumb is divide your salary by one thousand and that should be your hourly rate, so something like £145 per day.

However it's a bit academic as generally the client sets the rate and normally it would be a lot more than that, unless you are stupid enough to be having conversations with an Indian agency .
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
              ..move away from London.

19k in London is termed "poverty".
              While living with parents?! Compared to when I lived in London as a student he's loaded

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
                While living with parents?! Compared to when I lived in London as a student he's loaded
                Cool story bro. Got anything useful to add for a change?

Comment

It is possible to get entry level contract jobs. Part time is more difficult but does exist. I've also seen some that want unsociable hours that may also work well for you.

The key thing is to work out what you need to earn in order to make it viable. Factor in your costs (CT/NI/PAYE/accountant/insurances, etc) and then set your rate to cover that. Then see what out there at that rate is a good match for your skills. That'll tell you whether the market is on your side or not.

Comparing to your permie/intern salary is a waste of time really (discussed in another thread I'm too lazy to find and link to).

You could also go the umbrella route if it's just a filler job but you will lose on PAYE/NI and won't be able to claim (m)any expenses. Once you get over a certain day rate (IIRC it used to be around £250-£300 a day, not sure if that's changed) then it was just plain dumb to be working via an umbrella.

Comment

Originally posted by henryhooverville View Post
                    So in effect, you're either in it to win it or not at all? I have heard that some contracters might have to wait for months at a time to secure a contract, so I wouldn't be putting all of my eggs in one basket! I would like to give it a shot though, especially because I feel I am good at it.

My perception is that the main issue is the market changes depending on an influx of labour; graduates get recruited and would-be apprentices finish school and take otherwise available positions - at my level they are obviously a cheaper option. I do want to learn more about software development at a back-end, so that's kinda a goal which would mitigate but right now I need my baptism of fire - thing is I wouldn't do it at any cost (this one fella wanted 7.12 as an hourly rate for a central London company - not much in London and my travel costs aren't even paid for!).

Oh, also I'd be doing a History degree so a lot of time to myself to read really.
                    If you are going to get into debt doing a degree wouldn't it be a good idea to do one where it will help you get a job?

If you look at the employment rates for those who have a straight history degree they aren't very high.

In addition you already have more work based skills than most people your age so it would be prudent to do a degree that complements that. There are lots and if you are really interested in software development doing a history degree won't help you and make it harder for you in the long run.

You will find you have to do a Masters degree afterwards or find another apprenticeship as you will be competing with those with STEM undergraduate degrees and IT/Computer Science postgraduate degrees for the graduate schemes. Also SMEs who take on graduates and train them on the job but don't have schemes won't be interested in you as you won't have then qualifications to do the work.

I've met people who have been doing various IT/CS degrees and they have managed to get contract jobs. However they were doing their degrees part-time and they were older than you. Due to being older they had more work and life experience.
                    Last edited by SueEllen; 8 December 2016, 11:59.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      I've met people who have been doing various IT/CS degrees and they have managed to get contract jobs. However they were doing their degrees part-time and they were older than you. Due to being older they had more work and life experience.
                      how old is OP?

Comment

Working...
                      X