• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looking to get into contracting but not sure about rates?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to get into contracting but not sure about rates?

So I finished a year apprenticeship in London at a law firm, paid 19k pa which was really good but I also want to go to uni so a perm role isn't really for me. I like the idea of being able to be flexible, being paid a little more than a pittance, and also sort of 'choosing' when I work particularly with things like exams looming with uni.

I'm totally green while I am looking for a day rate at like 100 which would pay the same as if I went permie at my previous firm. **amended** I work in first line support, sorry to not mention it.

I know I only have a year exp but I'm not stupid and was actually pretty good at my previous job, better than some lads with two or three years under their belt. It's hard to tell, but what could someone like me consider reasonable to charge a client? Living in London is expensive enough without being treated like I can't do maths :/
    Last edited by henryhooverville; 7 December 2016, 22:48. Reason: Extra info.

On the basis that you haven't told us was you do, we have no idea what your rate would be.

Also, contracting is a full time commitment 99 times out of 100, so you'll be working on your degree during the evenings.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

On the basis of 1 years experience I would say "not much" or rather "good luck"

Comment

Not a chance. You might not be stupid but you've got zero experience to sell the client even at those rates. They want people to deliver stuff, not sit there albeit for a lot less money.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Just a thought.

Why don't you get more experience in a permanent job, save up and then do a Masters full-time? That way you won't be saddled with loads of student debt, will have a few years experience and will have a degree.

The problem with what you are purposing is that you are forgetting you need to fit your degree around your work. If you are doing a STEM degree then working full-time just will not fit in. Depending on the subject you may be able to fit in part-time work but even that isn't guaranteed. Also with the way contracting works you will be spending time looking for clients and having to travel all over London for contracts. This time you should be spending studying to get the highest degree possible.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            On the basis that you haven't told us was you do, we have no idea what your rate would be.

Also, contracting is a full time commitment 99 times out of 100, so you'll be working on your degree during the evenings.
            Sorry, made the amendment. So I did 6 months first line then 6 months second line at my previous firm, but I'm looking into first line support for now. I might move into C++ in a year or two but that's a ways away.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Not a chance. You might not be stupid but you've got zero experience to sell the client even at those rates. They want people to deliver stuff, not sit there albeit for a lot less money.
              Well with all due respect I don't just sit around, as Pherlopolus said I may need 'good luck' but I've seen a market for junior 1st liners however small. It does veer towards permanents yes but that isn't workable for me if I go to uni (which I would like to).

Thing is if I stick with this I'd rather not get swindled and the likelyhood is that I would be swindled.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Just a thought.

Why don't you get more experience in a permanent job, save up and then do a Masters full-time? That way you won't be saddled with loads of student debt, will have a few years experience and will have a degree.

The problem with what you are purposing is that you are forgetting you need to fit your degree around your work. If you are doing a STEM degree then working full-time just will not fit in. Depending on the subject you may be able to fit in part-time work but even that isn't guaranteed. Also with the way contracting works you will be spending time looking for clients and having to travel all over London for contracts. This time you should be spending studying to get the highest degree possible.
                So in effect, you're either in it to win it or not at all? I have heard that some contracters might have to wait for months at a time to secure a contract, so I wouldn't be putting all of my eggs in one basket! I would like to give it a shot though, especially because I feel I am good at it.

My perception is that the main issue is the market changes depending on an influx of labour; graduates get recruited and would-be apprentices finish school and take otherwise available positions - at my level they are obviously a cheaper option. I do want to learn more about software development at a back-end, so that's kinda a goal which would mitigate but right now I need my baptism of fire - thing is I wouldn't do it at any cost (this one fella wanted 7.12 as an hourly rate for a central London company - not much in London and my travel costs aren't even paid for!).

Oh, also I'd be doing a History degree so a lot of time to myself to read really.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Just a thought.

Why don't you..
                  ..move away from London.

19k in London is termed "poverty".
                  nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                    ..move away from London.

19k in London is termed "poverty".
                    Damn f****** right. I have been looking for other bits and bobs outside London and the first oportunity I get I will take even if I have to steal a ticket from an ailing granny.

Thing is, right now I am still looking for helpdesk contracts and my mum thankfully doesn't charge me rent (she's a good cook too okay?). I think if I can get some advice on what an idiot like me can charge at least I might find work that bit quicker...

Comment

Working...
                    X