• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Notice Period

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notice Period

Could someone please offer advice. A couple of weeks ago following very bad family news I decided I needed to stop my two hour commute (each way). So I handed in my notice. My neice is terminally ill and likely to die in the next couple of weeks. I told my boss i wanted to do a proper handover but that given circumstances I would appreciate it if I could finish my contract before the contractual 4 weeks. He has said no basically. Any advice? This is my first contract and I'm not sure where I stand. Thank you.

What does your Contract say about termination?

This is the first place to look. You are your boss, but I would suggest discussing this with your agent, explaining the circumstances.
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
      What does your Contract say about termination?

This is the first place to look. You are your boss, but I would suggest discussing this with your agent, explaining the circumstances.
      Thanks. I'll check. My agent is on board and supportive.

Comment

You'd appreciate 4 weeks but he said no. So do 4 weeks. That's the facts.

That said. In your situation I'd just say sorry, I will be unavailable for any future work, hand your notice and forget about it. Any decent person would understand your situation and leave it. That said agents are a different breed. They may get shirty and send you some grumpy mails but legally you've given notice but are unavailable. A very bad thing to do if you are just jumping ship but in your situation you shouldn't care. Ignore it and I guarantee it will come to nothing. Even an agent won't want to take this one any further.

Stick your notice in and do what you need to to help your family. No crap from agents or clients is worth missing time with your family.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

WHS. Sounds like you're being very reasonable. What's the worst case? Perhaps they'll try not to pay you for work you've already done, but in the circumstances you probably don't care.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            You'd appreciate 4 weeks but he said no. So do 4 weeks. That's the facts.

That said. In your situation I'd just say sorry, I will be unavailable for any future work, hand your notice and forget about it. Any decent person would understand your situation and leave it. That said agents are a different breed. They may get shirty and send you some grumpy mails but legally you've given notice but are unavailable. A very bad thing to do if you are just jumping ship but in your situation you shouldn't care. Ignore it and I guarantee it will come to nothing. Even an agent won't want to take this one any further.

Stick your notice in and do what you need to to help your family. No crap from agents or clients is worth missing time with your family.
            Did you read what he said? It's the agent being supportive and the client being arsey. You're worse than our lad Rojo for diving in two-footed.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              Did you read what he said? It's the agent being supportive and the client being arsey. You're worse than our lad Rojo for diving in two-footed.
              Riiiiight. Agent being happy to lose 4 weeks commission and to be on a contractors side when their client is going off on one. Pull the other one.

Just sticks his notice in and forget whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Riiiiight. Agent being happy to lose 4 weeks commission and to be on a contractors side when their client is going off on one. Pull the other one.

Just sticks his notice in and forget whatever.
                So the agent was a lot more understanding and said the client was not being flexible. I'd like to leave after 2 weeks instead of 4. The client (manager of the team I'm working in) wants his pound of flesh from me. I guess I risk them not approving time sheets for the two weeks I worked, if I leave after two weeks.

Comment

I tell people to honour their notice and get grief and them I tell someone to stuff his notice and get grief again (if you can even call that wet lettuce grief )

Comment

Originally posted by iank View Post
                    So the agent was a lot more understanding and said the client was not being flexible. I'd like to leave after 2 weeks instead of 4. The client (manager of the team I'm working in) wants his pound of flesh from me. I guess I risk them not approving time sheets for the two weeks I worked, if I leave after two weeks.
                    Hand the notice in and do the hand over then concentrate on your niece and helping her parents.

Unfortunately in the UK there are people who don't understand that some more distant sounding family members you have closer relationships with than other closer sounding family members.

If the client shouts at you or insults you for handing your notice in - stand up for yourself and tell him/her they are a monster and you feel sorry for the permanent employees they manage.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X