• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's the Longest Daily Commute You'd Be Prepared to Drive?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    That's ridiculous. How long have you been doing that?
    Only 3 months so far (I was doing the same a couple of years ago for 3 months too). Between these contracts I had a 1hr 15 mins drive each way contract. Current gig I'm signed up until the end of the year .... if I don't have a heart attack before that
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Nuts mun. I see your in the south west so Im guessing client is London? Not cheap on the train....

1-2 days per week wfh. Must admit I'd be temped to stay there for a few nights.
      Yes, London client. Train into waterloo, tube to Green Park. WFH helps, as does catching up on some sleep on the train when getting too tired.

I try to get London role, local ish role, then London role again etc. London pays well so be a shame not to make the effort if even only for 3-6 months.
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

I've driven a 190 mile daily round trip from North Leeds to Loughborough. At the height of road works it was taking 4.5 hrs per day.

Equally, I've commuted on the train from Leeds to London daily. It worked out pretty much the same cost as staying in London and buying a weekly return and it meant I got home every night.

Lots of travel might sound a bit daft but it's kept me in work almost constantly for 17 years and as someone else posted, it's that or sit in a hotel room at 8 in the evening thinking "I could have been home by now".

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
          ... it's that or sit in a hotel room at 8 in the evening thinking "I could have been home by now".
          OR
          it's that or sit in a hotel bar at 8 in the evening thinking "I could have been home by now"

Well.......

OK 60 minutes or 120 minutes round trip is my limit. Probably getting shorter as i get older.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
            Yes, London client. Train into waterloo, tube to Green Park. WFH helps, as does catching up on some sleep on the train when getting too tired.

I try to get London role, local ish role, then London role again etc. London pays well so be a shame not to make the effort if even only for 3-6 months.
            I remember looking and the cost of a day ticket for the train was MASSIVE £170 or so from wales which is way too expensive to make it worthwhile.

Season ticket for week was about double (i.e. two days). Much better. Is this stil the case?
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RSoles View Post
              OR
              it's that or sit in a hotel bar at 8 in the evening thinking "I could have been home by now"

Well.......

OK 60 minutes or 120 minutes round trip is my limit. Probably getting shorter as i get older.
              Yep. Sometimes you think is there any point killing yourself to not even see the kids and see the mrs for an hour or two.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                Yep. Sometimes you think is there any point killing yourself to not even see the kids and see the mrs for an hour or two.
                This. IMO it's about quality time. Do this and spend a couple of knackered hours with the family or take the hit and plan ahead and spend good time with them. Not for everyone's situation but I'd rather stay away a few nights and put the effort in to a fun packed weekend with the family when I'm rested rather than grabbing hours here and there and then be knackered at the weekend.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

This. IMO it's about quality time. Do this and spend a couple of knackered hours with the family or take the hit and plan ahead and spend good time with them. Not for everyone's situation but I'd rather stay away a few nights and put the effort in to a fun packed weekend with the family when I'm rested rather than grabbing hours here and there and then be knackered at the weekend.
                  Our family life has improved since I worked in London - we actually put effort into spending time together at weekend now.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    Our family life has improved since I worked in London - we actually put effort into spending time together at weekend now.
                    Absolutely this. My other half was very nervous about me working away but I've been doing it 2 years now and it does have it's low points but generally spending quality time with the family isn't one of them. Takes a bit of effort granted but makes for great weekends.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Absolutely this. My other half was very nervous about me working away but I've been doing it 2 years now and it does have it's low points but generally spending quality time with the family isn't one of them. Takes a bit of effort granted but makes for great weekends.
                      Another vote for this. As I alluded to earlier, I find I can be super productive (both personally and professionally) when living in hotels. I can also get my running in and so on.

So decent contract, staying away = free weekends with cash to play with! The only real catch is if you can't get away with going down Monday morning (I'm only willing to be so tired on a Monday, and some customers are pretty strict). Had a 6 monther a while back where I was setting out at 8:00am to get in mid morning, and leaving at 3pm on a Friday - absolutely lovely!

But then, although I wasn't doing consultancy work when we met I did my first two month stint away shortly after we moved in together (After about 12 months I think). Since then, it's been a regular fixture of our relationship and just part of how we roll. We take the lows as they come, but I like to think we reap the rewards.

Obviously I'd rather be doing a local 9-5 contract for the same cash, but those are rare!

The other problem with commuting longer distances is the randomness of it - it's one thing if you can guarantee being at home for dinner at 8pm, but if you're phoning the Mrs every other day saying "Ah, you'll need to have dinner yourself - I'm stuck in the office/traffic/conference call." then that's going to be worse than just straight up being away.
                      Last edited by vwdan; 9 January 2017, 13:59.

Comment

Working...
                      X