• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's the Longest Daily Commute You'd Be Prepared to Drive?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the Longest Daily Commute You'd Be Prepared to Drive?

I'm considering what will be for me a long distance year long contract from Manchester to Chester of 48 miles. I have the option to work from home one day a week after the first 2 weeks on site full time. Google maps gives me an estimated time of 55 minutes in normal traffic. Is this do-able on a daily basis? The train isn't an option as I'd have to make 2 changes and a one and a half hour journey. Has anyone done a similar journey and remained relatively sane?

Anything more than two hours would concern me.

Comment

What is the estimate in rush hour?

Normal traffic conditions are useless because you won't be commuting at 10am in the morning.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I did 3 hours per day on the M25 (Jn 27 to 17) for two years - not always 1.5 each way, but it usually totalled to 3. The client was happy with me arriving late and leaving late to avoid the worst. I'd leave home at 8:15, get home around 19:15. It was fine.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          I did 3 hours per day on the M25 (Jn 27 to 17) for two years - not always 1.5 each way, but it usually totalled to 3. The client was happy with me arriving late and leaving late to avoid the worst. I'd leave home at 8:15, get home around 19:15. It was fine.
          Blimey. Apart from my journey being across Manchester not the M25 this is exactly the same for me.

I'd kill for a 55 minute commute. Many permies do this and look what they earn. If it gets too much stay over a night or two.

IMO if you live in Manchester you are gonna have to get used to worse than this pretty soon.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Win View Post
            ...and remained relatively sane?
            Of course, this is the catch.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I was doing a 100mile / 3 hr daily round trip for 3 years on M25. However I negotiated 2 days a week working from home to compensate.

Any commute longer than 1 hour is a no go for me.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                What is the estimate in rush hour?

Normal traffic conditions are useless because you won't be commuting at 10am in the morning.
                This. Good luck coming back in to Manchester in an evening in 55 mins unless you live on the western outskirts.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  This. Good luck coming back in to Manchester in an evening in 55 mins unless you live on the western outskirts.
                  I live in the South of Manchester.

Comment

I'm on about 2 hours door to door right now and that's with a walk, a train, and then another train. I've some headroom in this kind of time for the next contract if the rate is alright. Anything more than 3 and it'd make more sense to stay somewhere near the site.

Comment

Working...
                    X