• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

speak up and leave or sit here and keep invoicing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speak up and leave or sit here and keep invoicing

Been with Client for 12 months, had two previous projects with them over the course of the last 4 years.

Current project ended in December new project with different department started on the 3th Jan to run until end of May, scope of the project changed completely yesterday and there is now very little requirement for me to be here and I will have very little to do.

Just to add a complication I am away on holiday mid February, Client aware

what does the panel think:

1: Say nothing keep invoicing and rinse it until the end of May or until they realise I'm twiddling my thumbs.

2: Speak up now tell them they don't need me, look like a hero for saving the project a large chunk of money go on holiday and return to the bench.

3. Point out you are under utilized atm and offer to go part time.

Keeps some money coming in, you save the project some cash, you get to relax and not worry about being found out, and maybe pickup another client on the side.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I'd have a look at what's out there. If there is plenty going on or some opportunities you like the look of I'd start the application. If it looks like it's going to come off I'd be getting myself ready to handover at a moments notice and a plan of who could cover stuff without you. I'd then sit down with the client, advise you are surplus to requirements and helps neither of you to stay so here is your handover and plan and it would be good to call it quits at x date. Get a mail saying they are ending the contract early for IR35 defense and off you go.

Client is super happy you've been honest and saved them money so you move up the chain to the first person they call when they need someone and you get dovetailed gigs and stay interested.

Happy days.

I've slogged through gigs trying to keep busy just to keep invoicing and someone will know so you aint kidding everyone and it's brain numbing work which can destroy your confidence for the next gig. I wouldn't be doing it again. I came contracting to not have to do this anymore.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        3. Point out you are under utilized atm and offer to go part time.

Keeps some money coming in, you save the project some cash, you get to relax and not worry about being found out, and maybe pickup another client on the side.
        Good idea I never thought of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
          Good idea I never thought of that.
          It is but the chance of picking up another part time client is pretty slim to say the least.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            I've slogged through gigs trying to keep busy just to keep invoicing and someone will know so you aint kidding everyone and it's brain numbing work which can destroy your confidence for the next gig. I wouldn't be doing it again. I came contracting to not have to do this anymore.
            Got to agree with that, I'm with you whilst I need the money there is nothing worse than coming in trying to find stuff to do for the sake of it and like you say the permies can soon get the hump if they see you taking the p*ss

Comment

First question at your next interview in June:

"Support Monkey, tell me what you've achieved in the last six months at your previous client?"
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                First question at your next interview in June:

"Support Monkey, tell me what you've achieved in the last six months at your previous client?"
                "I was so good I left the contract 2 months early as I had completed all the deliverables, and now I'm available to you."
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  "I was so good I left the contract 2 months early as I had completed all the deliverables, and now I'm available to you."
                  Correct, but only if you can deliver everything and you haven't got dependencies.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Cheers everyone, have emailed the Project lead and told him the situation and advised I will clear off when I go on my holiday if they want so put the ball in their court, we'll see what they say.

PS: I don't see there being enough work for part time so not really an option in this case

Comment

Working...
                    X