• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in Europe - is it worth it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting in Europe - is it worth it?

I remember the days when I used to contract all over Europe with my Ltd through UK agencies as well, manage to get a good rate to cover for my weekly commute plus accommodation. But now European countries do not allow us to work through our UK limited so we have to go through the agency umbrella which deducts a high % from the money paid to us (Tax/pension according to the laws of the country, social security etc)
    From calculation sent to me recently I am better off going permie * in London than contracting in Europe !!!

Unless one wants to go to contract in Europe for the sake of the experience, I think its really not worth it !

(*not that I would go permie again lol)

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
    I remember the days when I used to contract all over Europe with my Ltd through UK agencies as well, manage to get a good rate to cover for my weekly commute plus accommodation. But now European countries do not allow us to work through our UK limited so we have to go through the agency umbrella which deducts a high % from the money paid to us (Tax/pension according to the laws of the country, social security etc)
    From calculation sent to me recently I am better off going permie * in London than contracting in Europe !!!

Unless one wants to go to contract in Europe for the sake of the experience, I think its really not worth it !

(*not that I would go permie again lol)

What? All of them?

That's news to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
      What? All of them?

That's news to me.
      News to me too. I suspect it's more likely the agent trying to make a few extra ££.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

It is a matter of where can you find a contract or perm job more than anything ... I am studying German as UK may be off limits for me after Brexit ....

Comment

Well I tried in Amsterdam, Switzerland and Germany, even if you get paid through your limited you are expected to pay tax for that country from the start, in the past you had a choice to pay tax either in the country you work in or the country you reside in (UK) as long as you come back to the UK a few weekends a month, but nowadays you have to get a social security and and work through umbrella like, some offer you like 70% of your income - 30% deductions to tax etc but others cut a lot more following the tax system in that European country...

But if others have different experiences please share, perhaps like one says the agencies I spoke with were trying it on?

I remember at the start of this century around 2000 lots of contractors here were working in Europe.

Comment

I am going perm likely at the end of the year as contracting is now officially dead. Time to find a perm job or self sufficient living and become politically active - as contracting is going extinct .. I mean you can be caught in ir35 but then how is contracting better than a perm job ? In perm you get sick days. Well if you can command high contract rate , may be better..

Comment

Originally posted by europetractor View Post
              I am going perm likely at the end of the year as contracting is now officially dead. Time to find a perm job or self sufficient living and become politically active - as contracting is going extinct .. I mean you can be caught in ir35 but then how is contracting better than a perm job ? In perm you get sick days. Well if you can command high contract rate , may be better..
              You mean extinct in Europe or in the UK? I don't think its bad in the UK

Comment

Extinct? Officially dead? Keep going you two lol.

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Extinct? Officially dead? Keep going you two lol.

Haha.. didn't say that myself, I said it wasn't financially worth it for UK based contractors to contract in Europe like it used to be before, its worth it for the experience, either to put something new on your CV you can't get in the UK, or just to experience working in a different country... but if one's aim to maximize earnings, then staying in the UK makes best sense.

Oh I also noticed other overseas packages e.g. to Singapore are no longer as tempting as it used to be.

Comment

Also news to me, but haven't done it for a couple of years.

If you do go the umbrella route, there's some fun tricks they like to pull - like technically taking you on via a Swiss company (outside EU but access to SM). Can work out quite well, as you'll pay income tax in country but Swiss social security (which isn't as onerous as others). Can also turn out to be total tulip when the Swiss company goes down the pan and runs off with your tax deductions, that you are 'legally obligated' (you're not) to hand over to them, for 'safe keeping' until you declare your income for the tax year.

Watch the bastards closely. They know you don't know the law at all. Much, much better to go via Ltd if you can.

Comment

Working...
                    X