• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Market downturn

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PrestonChris View Post
    corporate bollocks ....

really ??

You mean you haven't had to sit through presentations on the latest corporate results , new management matrix they are implementing, the new catchphrase on the new way to deliver to the client which is exactly the same as you do now, team re-arrangement , endless admin so the manager with no work to do can fill in his spreadsheets which no one reads ...

I was a permie for 16 years with a huge corporation, we had quarterly reviews , project reviews , assignment manager reviews , training and development plans , constant rebranding and process's none of which improved how we delivered to the client
    It sounds terrible until you realise that the alternative for you as a contractor developer is to be sat in front of a screen 8 hours a day (average) while your eyesight fades. The mind-numbing presentations get you away from your desk and allow your brain to take a break for an hour here and there. It's not all bad.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by PrestonChris View Post
      I have seen quite a few DBA jobs recently, at least 3 in Manchester over the last week, I would say there has been more than 10 near me recently

Unfortunately, my DBA skills aren't good enough to be labelled a DBA alone, more a DBA / Developer.
      I would appreciate the links where you found them. I only check jobserve most of the time

Comment

Problem is IT Contractors are hardly like Steel Workers in the public eye so we aren't going to get much sympathy. The government did go over the top issuing Visas a few years back and they have leave to remain now so that is the new normal.

The bigger problem is I am convinced a lot of agents know they can get more margin out if Indian contractors so only put them forward. It is becoming increasingly difficult to get through the gate keeper.

That said, there is nothing the government can do about off shoring without resorting to Trump like tactics.

I would agree no contractor should be complacent but the threat of the IR35 changes in the public sector moving to the private sector is a bigger threat for some.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
          I would appreciate the links where you found them. I only check jobserve most of the time
          They are on Jobserv !

couple in preston , may be duplicate , from the location the employer is BAE

https://www.jobserve.com/gb/en/JobSe...D7884A1AB74428

Oracle and SQL Server on there

Comment

It's worth looking at jobserve or any other job board without location settings as loads of agents lie about locations of roles.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              It's worth looking at jobserve or any other job board without location settings as loads of agents lie about locations of roles.
              Correct. Barclays at Radbroke in Knutsford gets badged as Chester and Manchester a lot of the time to stop non-PSL agents getting a sniff of the role.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                Correct. Barclays at Radbroke in Knutsford gets badged as Chester and Manchester a lot of the time to stop non-PSL agents getting a sniff of the role.
                They seem to think it's spelled 'nutsford' though.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  And actually being over two miles from Knutsford train station. That certainly flummoxes alot of the Bobs.

qh
                  He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

People who feel smug that they have unique skills which are irreplaceable are in for a shock. Over the years indian companies have graduated from lower level development to cover all aspect of any project from lower to higher level. Now US is tightening h1b visa rules these companies will capture UK and europe in a big way.
                    UK govt. does not care about local contractors or even IT market otherwise why would they issue ICT and tier 1 visas in tens of thousands.
                    Yes, I posted earlier in this thread about my experiences working for a large consultancy where this was exactly the case.

Once the Indians move into middle management levels, a lot of these organizations will become closed shops.

Saw exactly the same thing happen in the Middle East in the banking sector. When they call the shots, they will only ever recruit from their region.

They were called the Indian Mafia with good reason.

The locals never suffered though, just western ex-pats really. The Gulf Arabs aren't a bunch of self hating, hand wringing pussies and have governments that actually put the needs of their citizens first.

Can't ever see that happening here

Comment

I'm pretty successful as a contractor and good at interviews but I've never had so much as a second interview when the interviewer has been a bob. If it were the other way round I'm sure the race card would be out.

Comment

Working...
                      X