• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice appreciated

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thatsmysurname View Post
    22yrs over 2 firms. Last company was national with over 3000 users in my patch

I've got a degree in computers but seeing as it was over 20 years ago, would that be of any benefit?

Should I get hung up on my SC clearance, having been told that it'll lapse after a year of being unused

Thanks
    22 years!!! What are you waiting for! Go for it.

Regarding the SC Clearance, if you see that would increase your chances as a senior professional, you could take it now because as far as I know will take a while to have it, but I think there are more appropriate people to talk abut SC Clearance here.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
      22 years!!! What are you waiting for! Go for it.

Regarding the SC Clearance, if you see that would increase your chances as a senior professional, you could take it now because as far as I know will take a while to have it, but I think there are more appropriate people to talk abut SC Clearance here.
      This post makes absolutely no sense.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
        Unless its financial services you would no longer get anywhere near £20ph for 2nd line that ship sailed many years ago due to outsourcing, Citrix, VMware & globalisation. £10-15ph is more realistic & the upcoming contractor tax changes in April make that salary level not far above minimum wage!! Here in London <snip>
        He's in the North West.

Finally SC clearance is not even worth much if anything anymore salary wise its just an expected requirement to have but unless its police, public sector, or military no use for roles as most will not require it.
        He doesn't want those sort of roles due to changes coming now over public sector IR35.

Try to keep any age identifying info from your CV as well if applying for 2nd line roles agents see your in your late 30s early 40s that's going to send your cv straight in the bin more often than not. There is a lot of underhand age discrimination around your competing against candidates in their 20s & early 30s with way less experience so they are cheaper than you to hire & a lot of hiring managers will not see beyond the rate difference. That's just an unfortunate fact of life right now due to oversupply & under demand.
        This is actually true. Support is seen as a starter role and you are expected to go on to something different.

Regardless you should keep all age identifying info from your CV whatever client you are applying for. There are sectors who simply put your CV in the bin because of your age whether you are young or old.

Its a very hash environment in IT contracting in London I do not know outside how the market fares but in London & the SE its worse than many of us more experienced contractors have ever seen it & that includes post 9\11 & the 2008 financial crash.
        This isn't true it actually depends on what your skills are. If you have skills in cloud, integration, automated testing and security you should be able to find a role.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
          Yet they find enough time to phone up and waste my time with tulip and non existent roles.
          Yep, that counts as one of the tasks they are busying doing. Trying to get leads. Way more useful to them than phoning 50 guys to tell them they haven't been successful in their application.

Comment

Working...
          X