• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

London market - dead? Overcrowded?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
    JavaScript contractors are as common as imported Indian IT guru's in London doing the same thing for about £100 a day (the outsourcer or agency takes the other £400!).The other 499 people who applied had better interview skills than you & did not leave newspapers behind either! Stick to NW region otherwise your just making up the candidate numbers as London living expenses are so high anyway your better off not working here as the rate difference will fly out your pocket faster than you can ever earn it!
    Amateur.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Must confess there is no way I would read a newspaper while waiting for an interview. Either pick up some of their literature or read nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
        JavaScript contractors are as common as imported Indian IT guru's in London doing the same thing for about £100 a day (the outsourcer or agency takes the other £400!).The other 499 people who applied had better interview skills than you & did not leave newspapers behind either! Stick to NW region otherwise your just making up the candidate numbers as London living expenses are so high anyway your better off not working here as the rate difference will fly out your pocket faster than you can ever earn it!
        They are so common my last client had to wait for a contractor they used before to finish his contract and come back, as the one they hired in the meantime was useless and disappeared.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          They are so common my last client had to wait for a contractor they used before to finish his contract and come back, as the one they hired in the meantime was useless and disappeared.
          Common does not equal competent. A contractor is only as good as the interviewer and the hiring manager's desire to spend the appropriate time and money to get in the right contractor.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
            Must confess there is no way I would read a newspaper while waiting for an interview. Either pick up some of their literature or read nothing.
            Yep. Northwest villager with no manners. I guess etiquette might be the key to contracting south

Comment

I wish I could believe any of this.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                I wish I could believe any of this.
                Given the OP's track record on here, do you doubt it?

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  Common does not equal competent. A contractor is only as good as the interviewer and the hiring manager's desire to spend the appropriate time and money to get in the right contractor.
                  To be fair last client knew that contractors could be rid off very quickly if they weren't up to scratch. They actually refused to interview a load of people after looking at their CVs they didn't even look at their portfolios.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    To be fair last client knew that contractors could be rid off very quickly if they weren't up to scratch. They actually refused to interview a load of people after looking at their CVs they didn't even look at their portfolios.
                    Hopefully (but doubtfully) there will be a recognition that not all developers, analysts, etc, should be on the same rate. I've seen a couple of people ask what 400/day vs 500/day gets them but that is rare. It would be nice to see it becoming more commonplace that there's a sense of getting what you pay for.

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
                      Yep. Northwest villager with no manners. I guess etiquette might be the key to contracting south
                      Doesn't matter where you contact or interview in the world having etiquette helps a lot.

Comment

Working...
                      X