• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract in Luxembourg

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract in Luxembourg

Hi all,

Looking for some advice regarding contracting in Luxembourg - I have already did a search but left feeling more confused due to differing opinions.

My contract will be 6 months only in Luxembourg and I will be travelling back home to London each Friday and returning on the Monday. It's £550 a day and I have a limited company set up in the UK. Will I be tax resident in Luxembourg even though I will return home each Friday? How will I be taxed and could there be complications? Does the 183 day rule apply to contractors? Is it best to stay in air b and b/hotel or a studio flat to be able to claim expenses?

Thanks

Book only a few weeks in advance rather than tying yourself to a six month rent. If the gig turns to poo after a month, you're stuck with a five-month commitment that you may struggle to wriggle out of.

In terms of the rest, linky:
    IT Contracting in Luxembourg: Living & Working :: Contractor UK
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      Book only a few weeks in advance rather than tying yourself to a six month rent. If the gig turns to poo after a month, you're stuck with a five-month commitment that you may struggle to wriggle out of.

In terms of the rest, linky:
      IT Contracting in Luxembourg: Living & Working :: Contractor UK
      Would air bnb be ok or hotel be best? What about the tax implications?

Comment

Originally posted by Northernercontractor View Post
        What???
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You will be fine. It is not like swiss where you are put a wireless tracker on your neck as soon as you cross the border.

Comment

Never been, don't know. I do a lot of work in London and use Trivago as my first port of call for booking accommodation.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Hi all,

Looking for some advice regarding contracting in Luxembourg - I have already did a search but left feeling more confused due to differing opinions.

My contract will be 6 months only in Luxembourg and I will be travelling back home to London each Friday and returning on the Monday. It's £550 a day and I have a limited company set up in the UK. Will I be tax resident in Luxembourg even though I will return home each Friday? How will I be taxed and could there be complications? Does the 183 day rule apply to contractors? Is it best to stay in air b and b/hotel or a studio flat to be able to claim expenses?

Thanks
              There is no such thing as the 183 day rule and based on above you'll be taxed in LX and U.K., paying the higher of the two subject to DTA.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                There is no such thing as the 183 day rule and based on above you'll be taxed in LX and U.K., paying the higher of the two subject to DTA.
                Exactly. As I found out too, this rule won't apply in most cases, especially if you are working through your LTD.

Comment

Hi all,

Thanks
                  1. You will be tax resident in Luxembourg AND the UK.
                  2. There is no such thing as the 183 day rule.
                  3. Use accommodation that you can book week by week.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    1. You will be tax resident in Luxembourg AND the UK.
                    2. There is no such thing as the 183 day rule.
                    3. Use accommodation that you can book week by week.
                    Well, there IS such a rule. However it doesn't apply in the context of LTDs. It's for companies sending their employees abroad on short assignments. Anyway, the rule is irrelevant in this case.

Comment

Working...
                    X