Contract hunt advice Contract hunt advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1

    Default Contract hunt advice

    Hi All

    First time on this forum. I would like a bit of advice please. I have been contracting for a short time, two roles, each 9 months long. I am an infrastructure engineer and I found those roles quite easily. I finished my last contract in December and took a holiday and started looking in from mid January and I haven't found anything and found the market to be quiet. Is this the usual. What is the usual bench time between contracts? Feel like I might be panicking when I am thinking of applying for permie roles in 4 weeks time if nothing turns up. Just some advice please

    Thanks

  2. #2

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    44,218

    Default

    So about 4 weeks? Not uncommon really I'm afraid. Some people on here have gone for a few months or more. Hopefully you built yourself a solid warchest up so you can survive inbetween gigs without worrying. Ideally you want 6 months + to be safe but anything over that doesn't hurt.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  3. #3

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    795

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bhimyo View Post
    Hi All

    First time on this forum. I would like a bit of advice please. I have been contracting for a short time, two roles, each 9 months long. I am an infrastructure engineer and I found those roles quite easily. I finished my last contract in December and took a holiday and started looking in from mid January and I haven't found anything and found the market to be quiet. Is this the usual. What is the usual bench time between contracts? Feel like I might be panicking when I am thinking of applying for permie roles in 4 weeks time if nothing turns up. Just some advice please

    Thanks
    Infrastructure roles are being outsourced left right & centre mainly to cheaper people from outside the UK based in Poland or India & or virtualisation is taking a lot of the requirement away now. Perm is probably a better option if you can even find that the entire support market is a race to the bottom salary & rates wise. Quality & experience does not appear to count for that much these days its all about how cheap you are due to a virtually limitless pool of cheap happy to be exploited import IT workers who should not even be granted the visa to do these roles anymore in the UK.


    4 weeks gap is nothing to worry about either even 4-9 months is quite normal now but I have known highly skilled contractors to be out for 1 year or more & still find something. I would worry more about getting a decent perm role that last's several years than a contract role which is part of the rapid race to the bottom of the rates ladder. Most businesses right now see IT support as how cheap can we get it done for and quality is being ignored for cost savings to boost profits.


    Read this long thread to get a flavour of how bad it is as well!
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...te-market.html

  4. #4

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uk contractor View Post
    Infrastructure roles are being outsourced left right & centre mainly to cheaper people from outside the UK based in Poland or India & or virtualisation is taking a lot of the requirement away now. Perm is probably a better option if you can even find that the entire support market is a race to the bottom salary & rates wise. Quality & experience does not appear to count for that much these days its all about how cheap you are due to a virtually limitless pool of cheap happy to be exploited import IT workers who should not even be granted the visa to do these roles anymore in the UK.


    4 weeks gap is nothing to worry about either even 4-9 months is quite normal now but I have known highly skilled contractors to be out for 1 year or more & still find something. I would worry more about getting a decent perm role that last's several years than a contract role which is part of the rapid race to the bottom of the rates ladder. Most businesses right now see IT support as how cheap can we get it done for and quality is being ignored for cost savings to boost profits.


    Read this long thread to get a flavour of how bad it is as well!
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...te-market.html
    A good move might be to get a perm role outsourcing infra, then after a couple of years go back to contracting doing the same, or a perm role with an infra provider/Cloud company.

    As for being on the bench, agree that several months is not unheard of. Make the most of that time. Eventually, availability will play into your hand.
    Last edited by ruasonid; 18th February 2017 at 08:13. Reason: typo

  5. #5

    Default Contract hunt advice

    I was on the bench for 8 weeks over last summer.

    Try security cleared jobs for engineering;

    https://www.securityclearedjobs.com/...countrycode=GB

  6. #6

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    So about 4 weeks? Not uncommon really I'm afraid. Some people on here have gone for a few months or more. Hopefully you built yourself a solid warchest up so you can survive inbetween gigs without worrying. Ideally you want 6 months + to be safe but anything over that doesn't hurt.
    I personally think that should be a year's money now. I know everyone is different but a lot of people seem to be out for up to a year now.

  7. #7

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,183

    Default

    Four weeks is nothing but are you seeing suitable adverts? Are agents getting in touch with you?

  8. #8

    Should post faster

    SeededLoaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    All over the UK
    Posts
    166

    Default

    Worst bench time was back in 2008. 5 months of chuff all.

    On the plus I managed to get some certs done but the lack of routine screwed my head up.

    Are you on Linkedin? Does your title state looking for roles? Are you sending your CV to agencies regardless adverts? They'll look at their database as well as posting on Jobserve etc

  9. #9

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    44,218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    I personally think that should be a year's money now. I know everyone is different but a lot of people seem to be out for up to a year now.
    Indeed. The more the better.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  10. #10

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Central London
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Agreed. The more in the war chest, the better. After a few months on the bench, even the clueless/gigless me managed to secure a short term easy project (which I am sure the cynical regulars will take great delight in mocking me for).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •