• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency in administration - Coal IT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency in administration - Coal IT

Original link taken from here
    UK recruitment biz Coal Intelligent Technology ceases trading • The Register

I wondered why I hadnt seen many gigs advertised for them recently.

I believe a large part if not whole majority of their business came from HP / HPES. Definitely recall gigs advertised for Hook or Erskine at sub-prime rates.

Anybody here through them I feel for you but check your insurance and validity of continuing to work - most probably shifted through A N other agency for live contracts with the financial hit on your business if prior invoices not paid.

Side thought, wondering if similar legislation applicable to solicitors regarding client accounts could be directed towards agencies; ie income they know full well is owing to businesses engaged through them is ringfenced as statutory. Discuss.

EDIT: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/09462463

M
    Last edited by monkfish; 18 February 2017, 20:42. Reason: spelling and info

We would need to lobby MPs for that and base our arguments in those on minimum wage who get screwed over as they think we can care for ourselves.

The prime example is the people who did security in the Olympics and the agency disappeared.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Wow, there's a shock - did 7 months with them and they were really good to work with. Even did a rapid reference turnaround for me a couple of weeks ago.

Comment

As I referred to in another thread, I was a victim of theirs

Just started a gig in January and heard there were recently problems with the other contractors getting paid and then the whole thing blew up in February and we got shifted on to another agency. Then we found out they went into administration. I'm owed about 15K, and others more. Unfortunately I didn't have business continuity insurance at the time.

I'm certainly no expert in the matter, but I checked companieshouse and there were a few Coal IT variations in the past which got dissolved, so it seems dodgy as hell. We even tried to get our client to pay our January fees directly to our LTD's since they hadn't paid Coal IT yet, but they refused. We were gutted knowing our money was being thrown into a black hole.

We got screwed over by our own client really, they dropped Coal IT before making sure we got paid, so there was no longer any leverage against them for them to pay us. They should have first threatened them with leaving to make sure they paid us before switching.

To make it worse, one of the Coal IT directors and our pimp was telling my colleagues all kinds of lies like blaming it on some 3rd party invoice discounter, and promising them every Friday that they would be paid but they never were. Even a week before they went into administration he sent us an email saying we would be paid that week.

I had to raise an invoice for the first few days of February to them after they went into administration. Was a horrible feeling sending them a timesheet I knew they would get money from the client for, but which I would never receive

Comment

Originally posted by Rabotnik View Post
          As I referred to in another thread, I was a victim of theirs

Just started a gig in January and heard there were recently problems with the other contractors getting paid and then the whole thing blew up in February and we got shifted on to another agency. Then we found out they went into administration. I'm owed about 15K, and others more. Unfortunately I didn't have business continuity insurance at the time.

I'm certainly no expert in the matter, but I checked companieshouse and there were a few Coal IT variations in the past which got dissolved, so it seems dodgy as hell. We even tried to get our client to pay our January fees directly to our LTD's since they hadn't paid Coal IT yet, but they refused. We were gutted knowing our money was being thrown into a black hole.
          Unfortunately your client is legally obliged to pay the administrators if they decide to pay.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Unfortunately your client is legally obliged to pay the administrators if they decide to pay.
            Yeah this was the defence they went with, that they legally had to pay it, but we tried to get them to use common sense that what they really owed them was their 10% (or whatever) commission, so we were begging them to pay them their fees separately and pay our money directly to us. I spoke to someone at Safe Collections (very helpful guy) and he said that technically they had to pay the whole amount but if they really wanted to they could dig their heels in and side with us. Unfortunately HR didn't want to hear about it and kept spouting some rubbish about us being caught by IR35 if they paid it to our companies

Comment

Originally posted by Rabotnik View Post
              Yeah this was the defence they went with, that they legally had to pay it, but we tried to get them to use common sense that what they really owed them was their 10% (or whatever) commission, so we were begging them to pay them their fees separately and pay our money directly to us. I spoke to someone at Safe Collections (very helpful guy) and he said that technically they had to pay the whole amount but if they really wanted to they could dig their heels in and side with us. Unfortunately HR didn't want to hear about it and kept spouting some rubbish about us being caught by IR35 if they paid it to our companies
              Scary that so many Human Remains teams, who are supposed to be up to speed on employment law, have no idea about a crucial piece of their business...

But just checking - are you an IPSE+ member? If so, you have some cover against agency defaults...
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                Scary that so many Human Remains teams, who are supposed to be up to speed on employment law, have no idea about a crucial piece of their business...

But just checking - are you an IPSE+ member?
                If so, you have some cover against agency defaults...
                +1 Along with the IR35 investigation protection, this is one of the main reasons I'm with them, its a no brainer.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

But just checking - are you an IPSE+ member? If so, you have some cover against agency defaults...
                  See OP's thread in general - allowed membership to lapse, and rejoined recently, so within the 60 days 'no cover' period.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ed-nluk-4.html

OP also missed out on jury cover by a day.

Possibly the worst two hundred quid ever saved.
                  Last edited by teapot418; 19 February 2017, 07:46.

Comment

Had payment issues with Coal in December (mentioned in the Agencies to Avoid thread).

Luckily (for me) the client I'm working at dumped them pronto.

Comment

Working...
                    X