• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is your #1 challenge preventing you from doing contract work in UK right now?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
    UK does not and has not had an IT talent shortage for many years so time to drain the swamp & close the borders..............
    Repeating that same fabricated mantra like a broken record doesn't make it true.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
      Repeating that same fabricated mantra like a broken record doesn't make it true.

He's right though. We simply have a "talent" shortage of contractors who won't work for £120 a day when their usual rate is £280
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Its 100% true otherwise I would not make the statement you sound like someone who is fabricating the truth to suit your own agenda & or benefiting directly from it. There are tens of thousands of unemployed UK IT contractors not prepared to be exploited financially sitting on the bench & millions of prepared to be exploited as its better than nothing foreign IT contractors filling these roles. Does not take a genius to work out that this undermines the UK IT staff at every level perm or contract as employers have access to a virtually unlimited exploitable IT workforce! Go work in Poland or India see how you like those rate apples!!

Comment

Originally posted by davidbieder View Post
          Hi,

My name is David and I am a Java developer from Berlin. Three years ago I made the big move to London in order to work as a contractor for different companies in UK.

Currently I am working as an entrepreneur on a potential business idea and was wondering if there are by any chance any other IT professionals here, who are thinking about coming to UK?

What is your #1 single biggest challenge preventing you from doing some contract work in UK right now?

Cheers,
          David
          I thought all the jobs in Germany paid more than here so why would anyone want to come over?

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
            I thought all the jobs in Germany paid more than here so why would anyone want to come over?
            Ignore the insular, xenophobe, racist Brexiteer

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
              They like to torment you.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Its 100% true otherwise I would not make the statement you sound like someone who is fabricating the truth to suit your own agenda & or benefiting directly from it. There are tens of thousands of unemployed UK IT contractors not prepared to be exploited financially sitting on the bench & millions of prepared to be exploited as its better than nothing foreign IT contractors filling these roles. Does not take a genius to work out that this undermines the UK IT staff at every level perm or contract as employers have access to a virtually unlimited exploitable IT workforce! Go work in Poland or India see how you like those rate apples!!
                You're making the false assumption that if we "drain the swamp" (as you put it) of those "prepared-to-be-exploited" low paid foreign IT workers that the work left will be given to the remaining UK IT workers who are demanding significantly higher rates. It won't. That work will follow those low paid foreign IT workers who have now gone back to their home countries of Poland, India etc.

Comment

You're making the false assumption that if we "drain the swamp" (as you put it) of those "prepared-to-be-exploited" low paid foreign IT workers that the work left will be given to the remaining UK IT workers who are demanding significantly higher rates. It won't. That work will follow those low paid foreign IT workers who have now gone back to their home countries of Poland, India etc.
                  Not necessarily. If someone wants boots on the ground in the UK, the work will remain here. Companies find out all too often that offshoring isn't a silver bullet and is very often similar money for far worse (which is when we typically have to come in and clean up after them).
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

He goes over the top with it and 'drain the swamp' is too reminiscent of Trump but he does have a bit of a point. The government did allow a lot of Indians in to contract a few years back who now have the right to remain.

The problem is not trying to compete on rate though. The problem is to actually get an interview. We have had an example on here where agents are only putting forward people from India, no doubt because they think they can get a bigger cut.

I suspect outsourcing is probably a bigger problem for all of us (and that is practically impossible to do anything about) but immigration is a factor.

Comment

UK does not and has not had an IT talent shortage for many years so time to drain the swamp & close the borders..............
                      Are you referring to Brexit allowing us to close the borders? Unfortunately I suspect that leaving the EU will only increase this problem of non-EU migration. You notice how the trade-deal talks with India went, where India specified that they would want a higher number of visas issued for their people in exchange for a trade-deal?

Comment

Working...
                      X