• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting straight out of uni. Is it doable? v2

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
    Looking back on this thread now and having been contracting for a year and a half my advice is - don't listen to the naysayers. I should have done this sooner.
    Well done, matey.

Comment

Looking back on this thread now and having been contracting for a year and a half my advice is - don't listen to the naysayers. I should have done this sooner.
      ^Still doesn't get it.

Comment

Well done

Comment

Agree with above - old guys don’t like just coding 30 lines in 2 weeks and getting a round of applause at the retro - they like going balls deeps with thousands of working lines with no bugs

At my last client one young chap left because his duel monitors were not quite level

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post

At my last client one young chap left because his duel monitors were not quite level

I now have a delightful mental image of duelling monitors

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              I now have a delightful mental image of duelling monitors
              Better than banjos

Comment

I've seen enough in this industry to know there is not enough of a correlation between age (and even "experience") and ability to be able to make a judgement on that factor alone. There are some traps that a developer with a few more years of experience might be less likely to fall into, but technology is changing so frequently that when it comes to understanding a new framework the younger and older devs are often at the same stage. Having a couple of years working in a professional environment counts for something though. And there is the general mindset - some people just 'get' programming straight away, whereas others struggle with certain things throughout their career.

Comment

I remember a newspaper personal finance editor saying he wrote an article talking about the best mobile phone provider for customer service. He said XXXXX was statistically the best. About a year later loads of people wrote to him - they switched to XXXXX and received poor service.

So you can be 99.99% certain of an outcome you might just be in the 0.01%. It is how the lottery works - stupidity in large numbers.

I am really pleased it has worked out for you. Just remember others may get differet experiences to you.

Please post in general more - it needs more of people like you. Who think that if a woman is not pregnant one day and pregnant the next, after 40 weeks she will give birth to 280 babies.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    I remember a newspaper personal finance editor saying he wrote an article talking about the best mobile phone provider for customer service. He said XXXXX was statistically the best. About a year later loads of people wrote to him - they switched to XXXXX and received poor service.

So you can be 99.99% certain of an outcome you might just be in the 0.01%. It is how the lottery works - stupidity in large numbers.

I am really pleased it has worked out for you. Just remember others may get differet experiences to you.

Please post in general more - it needs more of people like you. Who think that if a woman is not pregnant one day and pregnant the next, after 40 weeks she will give birth to 280 babies.
                    If she is a frog then yes it’s possible

Comment

Originally posted by pauldee View Post
                      I've seen enough in this industry to know there is not enough of a correlation between age (and even "experience") and ability to be able to make a judgement on that factor alone. There are some traps that a developer with a few more years of experience might be less likely to fall into, but technology is changing so frequently that when it comes to understanding a new framework the younger and older devs are often at the same stage. Having a couple of years working in a professional environment counts for something though. And there is the general mindset - some people just 'get' programming straight away, whereas others struggle with certain things throughout their career.
                      At least somebody understands.

Comment

Working...
                      X