• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finding it too quiet!!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnM View Post
    Be prepared to travel and be prepared to lower your rate

They are the two golden rules for me, apply nation (even EU wide) and when discussing rates with the agency always let them lead and ask "What is competitive with your client and other people you have put forward"
    In the last two months I've had two agencies call me to fill roles currently occupied by people whose contracts are not being renewed/are being let go because they haven't come up to the mark. I was originally contacted about one of the roles and they offered it to someone who took £100 a day less than I was prepared to work for. For now I'll continue to compete on quality rather than price unless/until there comes a day when I don't have a choice.

Comment

Originally posted by pauldee View Post
      Why so?
      Attitude
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        What even those with mixed experience?
        Nope. We speak to those, of course.
        You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Attitude
          This.
          You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by squarepeg View Post
            This.
            People who have worked in FS/PS automatically have a bad attitude?

Comment

Like waiting for a bus for me at the moment (still waiting for the part where 3 turn up at once)
              ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

not thought about it that way before but it rings true

Comment

You clearly have one.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Could this be because the rate of change of technology has accelerated in recent years? As I've mentioned before, you used to be able to get along just fine with .NET/SQL and a bit of front end knowledge, but now you need to know every JS framework imaginable.
                    There is an element of that. Not that I am a developer but in days gone by you either had to pick up a skill through experience or put yourself through a course (the software no doubt being expensive to buy). Nowadays most is Open Source and you can learn it in the privacy of your own home.

That said, if the contracts aren't there then the contracts aren't there, no matter how skilled you are.

Comment

Evidence of the market being quiet.

London office vacancies surge
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X