• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Potential contract breach by client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potential contract breach by client

I'm 6 weeks into a 1 year contract with a new client. From day 1 another contractor working on the same programme has systematically blocked me from meetings and information that is material to the performance of my work. I've raised this with the CEO who immediately unblocked one issue but then 24 hours later decided he wanted to terminate my contract - not for non-performance nor attitude - but under normal 28-day notice rules.
    There's a clause in my contract about what the client's responsibilities are and they clearly haven't delivered on those. Anyone know a good solicitor? Not had this situation before in 30 years of working as a contractor!

Just walk away and forget about it. You will get nowhere. There is no breach of contract.

You are lucky to be getting 28 days notice.

If you really have to take revenge, got to his car and pee in his petrol tank.

Comment

Clients like people who solve problems, not escalate them

Originally posted by UKS View Post
      I've raised this with the CEO
      Not usually a good thing to do.
      "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by UKS View Post
        I'm 6 weeks into a 1 year contract with a new client. From day 1 another contractor working on the same programme has systematically blocked me from meetings and information that is material to the performance of my work. I've raised this with the CEO who immediately unblocked one issue but then 24 hours later decided he wanted to terminate my contract - not for non-performance nor attitude - but under normal 28-day notice rules.
        There's a clause in my contract about what the client's responsibilities are and they clearly haven't delivered on those. Anyone know a good solicitor? Not had this situation before in 30 years of working as a contractor!
        If it's under normal 28-day notice rules then regardless of that something isn't right as you're 6 weeks into a 1 year contract. The situation is they're letting you go, and they could argue the case that they blocked you from meetings and other information because they were planning to let you go.

Just move on....you're at least got 28 days to look for something else. Sometimes things just don't work out. As you've already approached the CEO you could do again to ask why the contract is ending which may reveal the reason, or may not.
        I had a situation some time ago where I felt stabbed in the back, athough only finished the contract a week early. I was pretty p***ed initially then realised with that behaviour I didn't even want to work with company so **** 'em . It was the first time ever for me too. It did knock my confidence a bit but that soon bounced back when I next worked with a much better organisation. I learned also to take note of glassdoor.co.uk as their were some bad reviews about the management but I chose to ignore that.

After 30 years of contracting I'm surprised you give a damn, £££££££
        Last edited by SuperZ; 6 May 2017, 18:05.

Comment

There are a couple of other clauses in your contract.

Some will cover immediate termination if you don't perform which they are pulling here. I'm not surprised you've been canned reading that so they could have a good argument you've not acted properly. You are a supplier, if you rock the boat you go. Not unheard of at all.

There will also be clause about not getting paid if you don't have a signed timesheet. They can ask you not to work for the remainder of your notice period, or even contract. You don't get another penny so effectively it's instant dismissal as per the contract.

It was a crap gig that went south. Move on.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You've got 10 weeks out of it and notice - that's a win in my book
            ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Were you direct with the client or through an agent?
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Yeh something going on. You moaned to CEO. Maybe other guy has been there a long time? CEO couldnt be bothered with sorting out any conflict?
                Who knows?

Breach of contract? Never in a million years... What exactly have they breached? They dont have to give a reason and they did give you notice too....
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

CEO is thinking, Jesus I can't be doing with hassle from the hired help, he is not a permie and took 30mins of my life being a tell tale whinge bag. I will nod today and sack him tomorrow

Problem solved

Comment

You should definitely take your claim to an employment tribunal*

*that was sarcasm.
                    https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Working...
                    X