• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent wants copy of passport to submit application

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agent wants copy of passport to submit application

An agent has asked me for a scanned copy of my passport in order to submit my application to the client (a Government body). This is before I have even been offered an interview. Is this normal?

I have never been asked for my passport before an offer has been made.

Please let me know your experiences with this.

Thanks,

A.

For government probably yes but I had it for another agency who was a total nightmare wanted passport copy AND you had to attend their offices in person BEFORE they would even submit your CV!

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
      For government probably yes but I had it for another agency who was a total nightmare wanted passport copy AND you had to attend their offices in person BEFORE they would even submit your CV!
      Should I just tell them that I can bring my passport with me at interview stage? I'd rather not send my passport to agents just to be submitted.

Is this an indication that they are too many people chasing too few jobs and the agents are just being unreasonable?

Comment

Normally they just want to make sure you are who you say you are. Had to present mine as part of on boarding with current client co (bank) but it was no biggie.

I wouldn't be happy sending it in the post, but then again I have to change mine and Mrs qh passport address so I will be doing just that.

qh
        He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by achilles View Post
          Should I just tell them that I can bring my passport with me at interview stage? I'd rather not send my passport to agents just to be submitted.

Is this an indication that they are too many people chasing too few jobs and the agents are just being unreasonable?
          Your interview is with the client but it's the agent that needs to check you eligible to work in the UK so taking to interview is no good. They have a legal requirement to check. The fact they aren't following proper diligence by only accepting a scanned copy without you being present is not your problem. It's not uncommon nowadays. It's also quite possible the client may ask for a copy as well to make absolutely sure they aren't on the line if you aren't eligible to work in the UK etc.

Does sound a little early in the process so if you are that bothered then insist you'll deal with it at offer stage but don't be surprised if the trail runs cold at this point.
          Last edited by northernladuk; 28 June 2017, 15:28.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Your interview is with the client but it's the agent that needs to check you eligible to work in the UK so taking to interview is no good. They have a legal requirement to check. The fact they aren't following proper diligence by only accepting a scanned copy without you being present is not your problem. It's not uncommon nowadays. It's also quite possible the client may ask for a copy as well to make absolutely sure they aren't on the line if you aren't eligible to work in the UK etc.

Does sound a little early in the process so if you are that bothered then insist you'll deal with it at offer stage but don't be surprised if the trail runs cold at this point.
            Okay, thanks Northern, I'll just have to make a decision.

A.

Comment

An agent has asked me for a scanned copy of my passport in order to submit my application to the client (a Government body). This is before I have even been offered an interview. Is this normal?

Thanks,

A.
              They must be being scammed by applicants who aren't eligible to work in the UK. Normally I've only been asked for my passport once an offer has been made.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Scan the first page say you will be happy to bring it with you to the interview (if you get one). Personally I would not be happy posting it to them at all. One thing I am going to add is the passport identifies your age immediately!! Now the only banking role I had to do this for in almost 25 years of contracting as soon as I turned up to present my passport & attend in person I got the impression they were using my age (last 40s) against me......!! IME end clients are not that age sensitive anymore they want good candidates. But agencies however prefer younger candidates in their 20-30s as the salary will usually be a lot lower & they can be exploited more ratewise!!!
                Last edited by uk contractor; 28 June 2017, 20:30.

Comment

Thanks,

A.
                  There is no harm in doing this if it secures you the interview and ultimately the role. It shows you are genuine, legal and keen on the role.

Comment

Depends how much you want the contract.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X