• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving from Test Management to Project Management!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    2 months is nothing for looking for a role. Seems a bit drastic to move into PM world. Do you have any PM experience?

The way I see it is test management one slot of SDLC cycle, some one good in that natural progression is to manager entire SDLC ie Project Management.

Recently registered for PMP certification recently, probably shed £500 to sit that exam once I am confident.

Comment

Testing seems to be a bit of a dying art
      I spent 4 years training and 13 years as an Avionics test engineer in a highly regulated and controlled environment, after all we don't want aircraft falling out of the skies all over the place do we.
      When I moved in to IT and later into Project Manglement I was gobsmacked at how variable the approach to testing was.

On being sold to the lowest bidder ( I mean outsourced to EDS) and later HP I was even more amazed how rare on the ground any kind of test personnel were within those organisations.
      Getting anything tested normally relied on a client doing it, formal test management let alone planning was unusual and very badly resourced internally

Often during peer reviews I would say to various PMs who is doing the testing and where is it in your schedule............

So I am not surprised you are thinking of jumping ship but it is such a shame as your role is imho a valuable one.
      So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
        The way I see it is test management one slot of SDLC cycle, some one good in that natural progression is to manager entire SDLC ie Project Management.

Recently registered for PMP certification recently, probably shed £500 to sit that exam once I am confident.
        That's nice. You have a certification. Do you think that is going to land you gigs?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Cant wait to see how this pans out!!!

! ! ! ! !

Comment

Having certificates without commercial experience might be ok in a bouyant market where one or two agents \ clients could take a flyer with you. However, this isnt a bouyant market.

Within the Testing Sector and depending on your location, the market has bombed and more than a handful of agents have told me they havent seen any testing contract roles 'for a good month or two.'

Good luck, I think you'll need it to land a worthwhile role.

Comment

Jobserve shows 22 odd test manager roles posted in the last 7 day. Even more if you are willing to take a test analyst role. Doesn't seem to be that dry? What am I missing?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Jobserve shows 22 odd test manager roles posted in the last 7 day. Even more if you are willing to take a test analyst role. Doesn't seem to be that dry? What am I missing?
                You're not wrong. I'm getting called at least 2-3 times a week and it has been this way for the last couple of months. Don't know why but Testing seems to be quite buoyant at present.
                Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  The OP has pissed off all the agencies in his skill set?
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I'm also a test manager, and I also see PMP Certs as useful, but to augment my profile for test management roles - in other words, by approaching test management as a sub-project.

It doesn't seem to have hurt, I finished a role last Friday and start a new one Monday. Funnily enough though the interviews were about my experience, and not my certs.

Comment

It doesn't work like that unfortunately. You need experience as a PM to progress as a contractor, same as an other contractor skillset. And TM / PM are two very different functions. Just sitting a PMP exam (which is very US focussed to add) does not constitute natural progression into the world of PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X