• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving from Test Management to Project Management!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving from Test Management to Project Management!!!

After failing to land Test Management job for nearly 2 months I am moving to Project Management!

Enrolled for PMP certification today..!

I have Scrum certification , so from now three way attack for next job -Test Manager/Project Manager/Scrum Master.

Anyone here successfully done this transformation from TM to PM..?? Looks very natural progression I think..Any advice..???

Any input appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by Darren_Test; 30 June 2017, 22:19. Reason: dd

It's only natural if you have demonstrable experience that you can bring to a client.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Followed this route as a perm.

So I guess you have Test Mgmt XP? If you found that difficult, you reckon it'll be easier offering a premium service you have no XP in?

The market isn't kind to those who haven't figured out what they want to do, so my advice is figure that out. By all means go perm and build up some XP.

Comment

Shoot for the Stars but don't book L'Enclume just yet

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
        Any input appreciated. Thanks.
        I don't know but I would guess being a test manager is very tricky nowadays. This is Indian territory and it's something they can be very good at (and 'inexpensive' to boot). Two months isn't much in today's climate but that could easily become two years. However rocking up for roles armed only with certificates - I hope you've got a lot of cash sitting in the company...
        "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          It's only natural if you have demonstrable experience that you can bring to a client.
          The way I see it is test management one slot of SDLC cycle, some one good in that natural progression is to manager entire SDLC ie Project Management. Correct..?

Comment

Originally posted by rjoe View Post
            Followed this route as a perm.

So I guess you have Test Mgmt XP? If you found that difficult, you reckon it'll be easier offering a premium service you have no XP in?

The market isn't kind to those who haven't figured out what they want to do, so my advice is figure that out. By all means go perm and build up some XP.
            I did some transitions from V Model to Agile and have certification, so could be a good fit for Agile SM roles.
            Last edited by Darren_Test; 1 July 2017, 15:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
              I don't know but I would guess being a test manager is very tricky nowadays. This is Indian territory and it's something they can be very good at (and 'inexpensive' to boot). Two months isn't much in today's climate but that could easily become two years. However rocking up for roles armed only with certificates - I hope you've got a lot of cash sitting in the company...

Not much worried about war chest..Its too boring and Negative feeling.

Comment

If you have experience there are plenty of roles out there for a scrum master but you need the experience not just a certificate.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Another thought ...Service Management is hot these days. Get ITIL certified and try that as well...

TM + PM + CSM + SM..?? Too much..?

Only trouble is these roles are logically at opposite ends...
                  Last edited by Darren_Test; 1 July 2017, 15:40.

Comment

2 months is nothing for looking for a role. Seems a bit drastic to move into PM world. Do you have any PM experience?

Comment

Working...
                    X