• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is the best excuse you have used to get out of a contract immediately?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The fact is that this regular off-site working was played down considerably during the interview. Yes as a contractor you are more likely to be expected to travel but choosing your gig is also about what fits in with your personal/ family life or lifestyle choices. I took a gig with the expectation that I would be based locally. So why should I just 'get on with it ', 'suck it up ' etc. when it was sold to me differently?

By the way, I'm highly disappointed that I haven't read any really good, bad or downright ridiculous excuse stories yet. What's happened to everyone on here?

Comment

Originally posted by ziggystardust View Post
      I should have added that I think this is not for just the first few weeks as, like I said, the other guy is down there 3 nights a week when he only was told it would just be for the start. It's not that I would never do this for a contract but at this time I can't. I literally have commitments/ pre- paid activities related to interests and hobbies that I do outside of work most evenings which I'm really not prepared to give up which this would mean if I had to go every week with overnight stays. I basically have an active life outside of work....
      Firstly, never GAS what anyone elses situation is, you need to negotiate your own.

Speak to the lead, play a little hardball tell him its a deal breaker.

Obviously, attending for the 1st few weeks, as agreed, should be a given.
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by ziggystardust View Post
        Advice pleaseI . I'm a week into a 3 month gig and I've realised I've been done 'good and proper. ' In the client interview I was told I'd have 'to travel' down to their Edinburgh office to see my team but not 'every week' , 150 miles away. Yet on the first day of starting my Lead basically said he thinks I should be there 2 days a week for the first few weeks. I also found it the guy I'm taking over from is there for 2 days EVERY week and he only lives in n Liverpool. I wouldn't have taken the gig if I knew this was going to be the case. I relayed back to my other lead that that wasn't what I was expecting and have other commitments outside of work so couldn't. It would not be often.

Fast forward to day two, the guy brings it up again in the middle of a meeting with one of the really senior guys. ...'so how often could you realistically come down? ". I agreed to go down to meet the team next week but in 2017 in a company that has Skype, email etc. why travel so often when meetings can be held other ways. Since then I've received invites for team lunch the week after in, surprise surprise in Edinburgh which I have not responded to- it seems as though the client is trying to force me to go whether I want to or not.

The problem is with a ridiculous 30 day notice in my contract, regardless of the length of time I am there I am well and truly stitched up. I feel pretty cheesed and really want to bail out before next week when I have to go down. I've basically got myself into a situation In struggling to get out of and on top of that the work is looking different to what I expected, being completely thrown in at the deep end, and being the only contractor in a team of permies. Ever had a similar situation? What did you do or what reason/excuse did you give (no matter how bad) to be able to terminate your contract quickly and how did it pan out?
        Give them thirty days notice to terminate and advise you will not be available during that time. Do tell them why.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          Give them thirty days notice to terminate and advise you will not be available during that time. Do tell them why.
          ^^^This

If they clearly mislead you during interview then tell them straight.

They clearly thought that if they lie you would suck it up however if you have in demand skills then you don't have to, and they will find themselves not being able to find and keep contractors or permies.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Hmm, what would I do..

I'd explain that the work feels really interesting and I'm excited to be part of the team. I also have many commitments outside of work that I am reluctant to forego. I would then say I appreciate that it is important to embed in the team properly, and so I would be happy to spend x amount of time on site for the first n weeks. With the intention to then spend y days on site every z weeks, however we could review this after the first t weeks to ensure it is still suitable. If it looks like this kind of arrangement isn't working out, I'd sadly wish the team well and pursue other opportunities closer to home.

But that's just me.

Comment

If they clearly misled you, then I would also have a word with the IPSE advice line. Assuming you're an IPSE+ member then the business interruption cover can pay out up to £1000 for an agency breaching the contract, so I would have a look at that.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Hmm if they deffo said in interview not every week then I'd be a bit put out that they wanted two days every week now.

Sounds like they knew it'd put people off. To be honest, in my experience, clients tend to overplay it in the interview to avoid this sort of thing. i.e. No "you didn't tell me that" when you show up first week.

I had one client who said I had to visit their customer once a month - ended up going twice in two years. Almost all will tell you if there are any strange support hours or out of hours needed. Same reason - they told you so you can't kick off later.

I had similar years ago mind. It was going to be 6 weeks working away in one office, then back to local office. Of course, rocked up first day and manager hadnt been involved in things and he took me into office today and said "sorry but its going to be on site here permanently". Gave that a week then bailed. The rate just wasnt good enough to pay for hotels too - I only agreed to 6 weeks as a bit of a loss leader.

If it was me in your position, if I could afford it I'd just say no can do two days a week. And see what they say. They'll either back down and let you stay (and do once a fortnight or something) or can you. Either way sorted....
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  I had one client who said I had to visit their customer once a month - ended up going twice in two years.
                  Just out of interest, did the idea of you going every month stop shortly after they'd met you the first time?
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    Just out of interest, did the idea of you going every month stop shortly after they'd met you the first time?
                    Savage AF
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

SDC --> IR35.

Dictate your terms as far as possible, professionally, without impacting the client's business or the project requirement.

I would say that for the first few weeks it's usually a good idea to show face so as to build trust and to learn the ways of working at a new client.

As for getting out, assuming no MOO, just give notice and take it from there.

Comment

Working...
                      X