• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SJD passes contract on IR35 QDOS fail

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

love how you people are paying decent sums of money for opinions.
    Like with most markets created based on fear, you're being ripped off IMO.
    Feel sorry for the poor fools reading through all these contracts. I'd give up after 5 and say "yep, you're fine" .
    I reckon behind QDOS you'll find an MP who backed IR35 and made all these stupid insurances that nobody will ever claim on mandatory.
    Last edited by SuperZ; 28 July 2017, 21:04.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
      love how you people are paying decent sums of money for opinions.
      Like with most markets created based on fear, you're being ripped off IMO.
      Feel sorry for the poor fools reading through all these contracts. I'd give up after 5 and say "yep, you're fine"
      Opinions based on real court cases and legislation. Not our fault it's so badly implemented. It could still cost us a packet to get it wrong. I wouldn't call 90 quid or free with other products a decent sum either.

But thanks for your valuable input.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Still about 30 prosecutions a year or something isn't it?
        ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Opinions based on real court cases and legislation. Not our fault it's so badly implemented. It could still cost us a packet to get it wrong. I wouldn't call 90 quid or free with other products a decent sum either.

But thanks for your valuable input.
          You're welcome
          ....30 prosecutions a year? FEAR, RIP OFF, ta da .
          Sorry, I'm in annoying mood this evening .
          I wouldnt be surprised if IR35 investigations get dropped given that they're making a decent amount out of hard working contractors than they used to (flat rate VAT, dividends) and the rates aren't improving and most pubby sector contractors are inside anyway.
          Last edited by SuperZ; 28 July 2017, 21:30.

Comment

Hmm.. 30? Sebs post says otherwise.

Comment

You didn't have to say this for readers to know it.

Gordon Brown's ugly step-child was so poorly defined that it's hardly surprising people will have different views on contracts. They don't want it to be tightly defined. They want people to be scared into umbrellas or into operating within IR35. The fact that some people blow it off and operate outside when they should be inside is a small price to pay for the many people who operate inside (or within umbrellas) out of FUD, when they might well be outside if there were a clear definition.

So since HMG won't give us a clear definition of disguised employment, of course there will be times when contract reviews will give differing answers. They've left huge grey areas, and many contracts will fall in those areas.

Comment

You're welcome
                ....30 prosecutions a year? FEAR, RIP OFF, ta da .
                I wouldnt be surprised if IR35 investigations get dropped given that they're making a decent amount out of hard working contractors than they used to (flat rate VAT, dividends) and the rates aren't improving and most pubby sector contractors are inside anyway.
                If you know other contractors and do a search on here you will discover HMRC opens cases then quietly tends to drop the ones with insurance/who can pay for their defence a few years later.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

No disrespect to QDOS, they do good insurance policies. But, imho, using QDOS to do IR35 reviews is like asking your accountant to do it. Get your contracts IR35 reviewed by professionals like Bauer and Cottrell or Abbey Tax.

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
                    No disrespect to QDOS, they do good insurance policies. But, imho, using QDOS to do IR35 reviews is like asking your accountant to do it. Get your contracts IR35 reviewed by professionals like Bauer and Cottrell or Abbey Tax.
                    How on earth do you come to that conclusion? Your accountant? Really?

There may be some discussion around that area possibly but starting with asking your accountant is just utter rubbish.
                    Last edited by northernladuk; 29 July 2017, 20:03.

Comment

There's got to be a better way of doing this surely? I mean contracts are rarely individual things. To me this is all a great contractor scam, praying on fear. I cant be bothered to explain all but:
                      Contracts are rarely individual things. There's no custom contract for each one of us - we're not that special.
                      Template contracts - agency should be working with us to ensure outside IR35, then update contracts used for other contractors
                      Why don't someone like the PCG work with agencies to "educate" them on contracts that are suitable for contractors? We can then have an approved list of "IR35 friendly" agencies which by it's nature would then force other agencies to want to be approved too as contractors will only want to work with those on the approved list. Surely, once an agency gets it right, it should just form a template moving forward? Easy

Instead we have this £90 a time scam with "opinions" given sometimes and I very much doubt they read through each one too. If they get a contract from Hays for example they'll probably quickly eyeball it with another from Hays that has passed and that'll be that, £90 quid for 5-10 mins work, kerching..
                      And given someone on £400 a day is probably at £5-6k worse off anyway these days (flat rate VAT, dividend changes) and the public sector are now mostly "inside" contracts I think if anything the risk has lessened to other contractors. Depends what your daily rate is I suppose.

I do use services too especially if I think it seems inside but also just these days dump a lot into a pension anyway.
                      Last edited by SuperZ; 30 July 2017, 08:37.

Comment

Working...
                      X