• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

hsbc - cull starts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PermMCCon View Post
    Instead of knee jerk culls, what people in the forum are asking for is "controlled" culls. ie large programme has completed successfully, natural next step is contractor being let go and permies moving on to their next role. and so on again.
    I had a nice little run at HSBC.

It looked to me as though (after getting rid of tons of people) they decided they needed now to ramp up again. So they went out and hired train loads of people - not for particular projects but just a huge stock of people for whatever. I went into an empty office in Birmingham and day by day, week by week it filled up. The same thing was happening elsewhere. But I didn't actually have a job. I was just coming in and doing nothing for a month or more. Then I got tacked on to programmes doing bits and pieces. Three such assignments later I walked. Enough was enough. And my boots were well and truly stuffed to the rims.

The point is all this hire-and-fire creates work for us. We are the vultures who circle all the time, feeding off the pickings of corporate disarray. It's not Michelin Star fare but it feeds our excessive lifestyles...
    "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

[QUOTE=PermMCCon;2459729] Instead of knee jerk culls, QUOTE] These knee jerk culls are good though as every single time without fail all the IBs copy each other and cull too far & cut too deep (US IBs especially always go way too far & are the slowest to react as so many layers middle management). Lots of perms being let go as well right now. As soon as upper management realise (about 12 months too late usually) they suddenly go on a hiring spree & rates go through the roof...rinse & repeat its been the same for 20 years now in London IBs anyway! I think right now we are in the middle to end of this culling cycle sooner or later they have to reverse & race to the top again.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
        i suppose a 'phone call is marginally better than security arriving at your desk <which has happened at other banks>.
        Barclays were notorious for this disgraceful tactic. Many a time gone for lunch and a fellow contractor has been marched off site for nothing more that they are cutting back.

Comment

Originally posted by Yonmons View Post
          Barclays were notorious for this disgraceful tactic. Many a time gone for lunch and a fellow contractor has been marched off site for nothing more that they are cutting back.
          If they pay a notice period, it sounds like a good deal.

Comment

HSBC did have a lot of dead wood contractors particularly in Credit Risk / Market Risk, I'm not saying they all were, but people I had work for me who were rubbish always seemed to turn up there as a contractor or candidates I interviewed and rejected turned up there, so seemed HBSC recruited a lot on the basis of 'just throw people at it' . There seemed to be some kind of exchange programme going on between RBS and HSBC the dead wood that RBS got rid of always turned up as HSBC at some point.

Comment

I walked out as I said. However I subsequently found out that a PM I worked with at Churchill had similarly exited not long after. And so had my ex PMO analyst from Citi. I'm not saying it's at all clever or professional to look gift horses in the mouth but it does show some people have limits when it comes to selling their souls for the big fat dollar, not just me.
              "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
              X