• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Submitted Rate Reduced Before 1st Interview

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    More likely the OP will lose the gig entirely. It happened to me once with agents fighting. Late 1990. Recession time. I was very upset.
    That would be what my money would be on as it is exactly what happened to me,

Amazingly I have not repeated my mistake since. Usually I repeat mistakes several times just to be sure.
    LOL. You've said that before so I believe you now
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Insist on the rate you asked for or walk away. The money from the end client is not determined by how many applicants there are. If it is, you don't want to work there anyway.

Other views are available...
      The only other view I can think of is if you cannot afford to walk away. If you can't then you need to work out how you are going to maximise your rate from here.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

will this work..??

I think best option is 'reluctantly' agree what ever the rate pimp says and complete interview process and convince client your worth. If possible get 'Linkedin' with interviewers as well. Most of the clients will not ask contract rates these days.

Get the offer and contract documents in your hand take a bit of time and ignore couple of calls from pimp. Then 'turn the table' by telling him you have higher offer so can't accept this one.

will this work..??

Comment

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
          I think best option is 'reluctantly' agree what ever the rate pimp says and complete interview process and convince client your worth. If possible get 'Linkedin' with interviewers as well. Most of the clients will not ask contract rates these days.

Get the offer and contract documents in your hand take a bit of time and ignore couple of calls from pimp. Then 'turn the table' by telling him you have higher offer so can't accept this one.

will this work..??
          It could if you can convince the agent you mean it, which most newbies won't be able to do. That said nor would many seasoned guys. Normally you need the gig more than the agent needs you.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            It could if you can convince the agent you mean it, which most newbies won't be able to do. That said nor would many seasoned guys. Normally you need the gig more than the agent needs you.
            But at very late stage pimps might loose out as well as they may not be able to find a replacement. But if it is early stage they can project another candidate to next interview stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
              But at very late stage pimps might loose out as well as they may not be able to find a replacement. But if it is early stage they can project another candidate to next interview stage.
              It's not hard for the agent to say to the client that you've pulled out at the last minute, but candidate number two is still available. Or to tell the client that you've asked for an increase beyond the rate agreed, so would they like to pay more or to take candidate number two.

It might work, but I'm not sure that it's blaggable without having that second role available to fall back on.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

No. Straight up.
                If this is even true I wouldn't want to work for this client. What's next; they'd like to make you an offer but they can't decide between three people so it goes to the lowest bidder?
                In the last six months I've been contacted by a couple of agencies needing to replace people who haven't come up to the mark because they got them on the cheap.
                Stand your ground. Say no to dodgy agents/clients.

Comment

Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
                  No. Straight up.
                  If this is even true I wouldn't want to work for this client. What's next; they'd like to make you an offer but they can't decide between three people so it goes to the lowest bidder?
                  In the last six months I've been contacted by a couple of agencies needing to replace people who haven't come up to the mark because they got them on the cheap.
                  Stand your ground. Say no to dodgy agents/clients.
                  I think it's pretty clear this isn't the client. And not work with them for trying to decrease the cost? You've never asked for more than an advertised rate or for an increase at renewal? It's called doing business.

Saying no to everyone that try bartering for your services isn't going to work well for you long term.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    I think it's pretty clear this isn't the client. And not work with them for trying to decrease the cost? You've never asked for more than an advertised rate or for an increase at renewal? It's called doing business.

Saying no to everyone that try bartering for your services isn't going to work well for you long term.
                    Ok let me see if I have this right. So it's not the client, it's the agent trying to increase his/her cut. If that's the case, I really don't think I would be inclined to allow that to happen on the back of my labour.

And actually, no I've never asked for more than the advertised rate or an increase at renewal. I've never been in a position where I felt I needed to but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. I'm pretty satisfied with my lot in life right now. My focus is on keeping my skills up to stay ahead of the game, recognising that the young whippersnappers are hot on my heels.

Comment

I'd say there are 2 options.

If you're confident you can get another gig at the rate you want, or you have others at interview at that rate etc. tell the agent that you're only interested in the original rate and walk away if they don't put you forward.

If you need the gig and the reduced rate is acceptable for you, I'd call the agents bluff and tell them they can put you forward for it and you'll discuss the rate reduction at the interview. Chances are they'll back down, but if not I'd consider actually asking the client at the end of the interview if you think it went well. Be careful though, if you don't do it right it could backfire. I'd maybe just say you'd like to clarify what the agent has told you, without mentioning figures. "I wouldn't normally discuss rates at an interview...." etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X