• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Training, what sort if any?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Training, what sort if any?

Hi All,

I'm thinking of returning to the fold, I left IT per se back in feb 2002 when I started a retail buisness which I've been running since. If returning to IT is an option then I guess the earliest to start would be next march\april, jobs dependant obviously, which would be a five year gap.

Before feb 2002 I had been contracting for 8 years and permie for 4 years before that. During this time I'd never needed to get qualified but am thinking that now this would be a pre-requisite and would also refresh my skills to the current level.

I'm thinking of MCSE as my last roles were working on corporate multi-site infrastructure projects principally in a Microsoft environment. My postion was described as techincal architect, but I think this gets overused. But as an example, my last role was to design and impelment a Tivoli infrastructure from the ground up.

My question is what training would be best, I've narrowed it down to:

1. boot camp
    2. self study using MS training kits
    3. self study using a kit from the likes of www.pviva1.com

Boot camp is pricey at 5k but could be qualified in 14 days. MS training kits have printed books (which I like, can read on the bog) as well CDs and it's their qualification so the material should be good. PVIVA is cheap £170ish, says it covers 95% of what you need, but is all on CD and should I be concerned about that 5%.

Any thoughts or comments or preferrably any other better ideas?

Regards,

You have been out of the game a while. MCSE gets you 10notes an hour basic support jobs, been devalued by every helpdesk monkey on the planet doing it. Have to find more of a niche to generate decent cash - genuine tech architect can earn reasonable coin.
    Good luck.

Comment

I did the boot camp option (£6K) about 4 years ago.

>MCSE gets you 10notes an hour basic support jobs, been devalued by every helpdesk monkey on the planet doing it

Interestingly, I was recruiting for an infrastructure role a few years ago, and I'd say half the applicants who claimed to have MCSE didn't actually have it. When challenged, one accused the agency of having altered his CV. So I looked him up on Jobswerve, and lo and behold he was lying his bollocks off.
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac
        >Interestingly, I was recruiting for an infrastructure role a few years ago, and I'd say half the applicants who claimed to have MCSE didn't actually have it. When challenged, one accused the agency of having altered his CV. So I looked him up on Jobswerve, and lo and behold he was lying his bollocks off.
        Did he get the job?

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac
          I did the boot camp option (£6K) about 4 years ago.

>MCSE gets you 10notes an hour basic support jobs, been devalued by every helpdesk monkey on the planet doing it

Interestingly, I was recruiting for an infrastructure role a few years ago, and I'd say half the applicants who claimed to have MCSE didn't actually have it. When challenged, one accused the agency of having altered his CV. So I looked him up on Jobswerve, and lo and behold he was lying his bollocks off.
          The MCSE seems to be totally discredited. Too many claim they have it when in fact hey don’t and too many MCSEs have there exams taken for them particularly in India where you can buy it off the street. There are even adverts on the net offering to take the exams on your behalf.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by decode
            Did he get the job?
            No he didn't.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I did this for my MSc and Phd

I simply changed my name to Sanjay Patel and bought them on the net forra fiver.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
                The MCSE seems to be totally discredited. Too many claim they have it when in fact hey don’t and too many MCSEs have there exams taken for them particularly in India where you can buy it off the street. There are even adverts on the net offering to take the exams on your behalf.
                MCSE on its own is pretty worthless anyway. If you have it with say 15 years experience (as I do) then it ought to be worth something.

Comment

I understand I've been out a while and wouldn't expect to start again where I left off. I'm aware there's been a devaluing of the MCSE exemplified by the above comments and Mordac's recruiting experience. When I was in IT some of the MCSEs were pretty poor but to balance things I have met one or two who were good, but then they good anyway.

I was looking at the MCSE as a way demonstrating that I am up with current Microsoft software and from comments on this board I thought it might be required to get agents to even look at my CV.

Mordac, I presume your bootcamp training has paid off or would you do something different with hindsight?

Comment

Originally posted by gables
                    I understand I've been out a while and wouldn't expect to start again where I left off. I'm aware there's been a devaluing of the MCSE exemplified by the above comments and Mordac's recruiting experience. When I was in IT some of the MCSEs were pretty poor but to balance things I have met one or two who were good, but then they good anyway.

I was looking at the MCSE as a way demonstrating that I am up with current Microsoft software and from comments on this board I thought it might be required to get agents to even look at my CV.

Mordac, I presume your bootcamp training has paid off or would you do something different with hindsight?
                    If you've got the experience I can see no harm in gaining the MCSE as something to put on your CV, just put more emphasis on your experience and try not to make it look you're a 'paper mcse'. If you know your stuff the exams are quite straightforward.

Comment

Working...
                    X