• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gambling debt and SC Clearance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gambling debt and SC Clearance

Hi guys,

I know the issue of SC has been asked several times on this forum having read the FAQ and other posts made by users. Although in relation to Gambling debt I am curious if anyone has had this and still managed to get SC Clearance? I am currently in 15k of debt due to a very dark period in my life right now and I am concerned that I will not be granted it and consequently lose my job.

The problem i have is that the debt is very recent and although I have never missed any payments my credit score is very very low right now. It was over 900 before on Experian.

Thanks for any assistance that can be given.

Regards

If you've read all that then you will know the answer. It's the same we give over and over again.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 17 October 2017, 06:53.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

From the MoD FAQs I suspect this answers your question but doesn't give you the answer you want....

If you or your partner have previously been or are currently in serious financial difficulty, or show signs of financial irresponsibility, you could be vulnerable to pressure or bribery.
      Debts such as mortgages, loans or credit cards will not normally affect your suitability to hold a SC or DV clearance as long as you are able to keep up the repayments properly. However your financial situation will be carefully considered and each case will be judged on its merits.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        If you've read all that then you will know the answer. It's the same we give over and over again.
        I appreciate you can read between the lines although I was hoping for real life examples of people who have passed/failed for the reason I stated. I can't find much specifically to this type of debt and I am very anxious I am going to lose my job.

Comment

£15K sounds like my week at cheltenham festival

Did you get a court order against you or just come to an arrangement?

Does it show in your credit report ?

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            From the MoD FAQs I suspect this answers your question but doesn't give you the answer you want....
            "...and each case will be judged in its merits."

This is what we keep saying, and why we can never answer the "Will I, won't I" questions. One day, it will sink in!
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by ITContractor20 View Post
              I appreciate you can read between the lines although I was hoping for real life examples of people who have passed/failed for the reason I stated. I can't find much specifically to this type of debt and I am very anxious I am going to lose my job.
              Job? Are you a contractor or permie?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
                £15K sounds like my week at cheltenham festival
                It was a good week this year then?
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

MoD mentions "serious financial debts" - just tell them to increase your rate a little bit and you'll have £15k paid off in a month.

Simples.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

The problem with gambling debts is that they are not enforceable under civil law. The guys holding the debt are therefore tempted to use "other" means to recover their money. Hence they represent a significantly greater risk of coercion or blackmail than a simple credit card bill.

All the OP can do is declare it in the space provided and see what happens.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X