• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gambling debt and SC Clearance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ITContractor20 View Post
    Yeah I am taking a break from gambling
    A break? :
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yeah I am taking a break from gambling
      Bet you won't last......

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. Would it be best to tell them exactly what this debt was accumulated for? I feel that debt from gambling is going to be a stumbling block for my clearance.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. Would it be best to tell them exactly what this debt was accumulated for? I feel that debt from gambling is going to be a stumbling block for my clearance.
          1. Admit you have a problem with gambling.

2. Stop gambling.

3. Go to Gamblers Anonymous and keep going.

4. State that you have a debt with the bank on the SC form.

5. If they want to see your statements show them and prove that you aren't gambling anymore.

6. Fall off the wagon and repeat steps 1-3 until you haven't gambled for 20 years and that includes lottery tickets and scratch cards.

OR

Fill in the SC form, continue to gamble then at some point lose your job and everything else including all your relationships with both adults and children.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I'm nothing to do with this but even I'm nervous about you getting hold of highly sensitive information now

Comment

I think when they see the multi thousand pound transaction they will be concerned.
              Why would they see this though? They don't get this level of detail from a credit check. I don't think I was asked for bank statements for SC clearance, if I did it would have been for proof or address/ID, so one dated within last 3 months. Just send them one without the gambling transactions.

Only if they ask. You're over thinking this. You have a pretty normal level of debt with a bank. Just tell them what they ask and if they have any further questions about it, answer them too. Just be honest in the answers that you give.

Comment

I'd be a little disappointed in the checks if they can't determine the difference between a bit of debt and a 40k+ a year gambling habit.

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
                  Why would they see this though? They don't get this level of detail from a credit check. I don't think I was asked for bank statements for SC clearance, if I did it would have been for proof or address/ID, so one dated within last 3 months. Just send them one without the gambling transactions.
                  You are unlikely to be asked to show a statement, but that doesn't mean that they can't / don't / won't look at your bank accounts.

When SC looks at your financial history (and some departments expect more than others here), they aren't doing a routine credit check, they are looking for specific factors which might influence current or future behaviour.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
                    You don't think the vetting agencies have access to your bank accounts? Bless...

Only if they ask. You're over thinking this. You have a pretty normal level of debt with a bank. Just tell them what they ask and if they have any further questions about it, answer them too. Just be honest in the answers that you give.
                    The debt isn't necessarily the problem. The lack of intention to pay it off is the problem; if it's just sat there then it will stop your clearance (and not saying that is the case with the OP of course).

Otherwise I agree; tell the truth and see what happens. You can't affect the outcome anyway.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

yes do this

So you spent about 1/3 of the average contractors income on gambling this year - big deal, stop making a mountain out of a mole hill to talk yourself out of SC by giving them information they don't need to here. If they ask tell them, If they don't ask - Don't - would be my advice

Comment

Working...
                      X