• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Honour my contract with New Client or Go Ahead with another Interview for More Money?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    That's a good point. He didn't state it but looking at the checks that have started etc you could assume he's accepted it verbally.

If he's accepted it subject to contract review he's still got outs.
    I did accept verbally over the phone when the agent contacted me to say that the client would like to offer me the assignment. I never followed this up with '...subject to reviewing the contract' and neither did I do this in writing. So an extra £100 a day not worth p***ing of the client for then? In that case maybe I should cancel the interview.....

Comment

Originally posted by ziggystardust View Post
      I did accept verbally over the phone when the agent contacted me to say that the client would like to offer me the assignment. I never followed this up with '...subject to reviewing the contract' and neither did I do this in writing. So an extra £100 a day not worth p***ing of the client for then? In that case maybe I should cancel the interview.....
      I'm normally all for honouring agreements but others come on and say look after number one always. I must admit in this case 100 quid a day is a lot of money so even I'd push the boundaries for that.

You are going to get your contract reviewed anyway aren't you? So that takes up to 5 days so I'd say you've nothing to lose to go to the interview. At least get two offers on the table before making a decision. Could be you don't get the gig or it's rubbish and you've no decision to make. If the new gig is a blinder it could be worth pissing the agent off. It's very unlikely they'll go legal so you'll just have to shoulder a very unhappy agent/client but 100 quid a day for what could be a long gig is a strong incentive to deal with that.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I'm normally all for honouring agreements but others come on and say look after number one always. I must admit in this case 100 quid a day is a lot of money so even I'd push the boundaries for that.

You are going to get your contract reviewed anyway aren't you? So that takes up to 5 days so I'd say you've nothing to lose to go to the interview. At least get two offers on the table before making a decision. Could be you don't get the gig or it's rubbish and you've no decision to make. If the new gig is a blinder it could be worth pissing the agent off. It's very unlikely they'll go legal so you'll just have to shoulder a very unhappy agent/client but 100 quid a day for what could be a long gig is a strong incentive to deal with that.
        Where is the real NLUK and what have you done with him?

Comment

Originally posted by ziggystardust View Post
          Normally verbal agreement is the point where I would stop looking for a contract. Some contractors go on looking just in case it somehow falls through but this can even happen when you've actually started working, so I wouldn't personally see any point in doing that. I also don't buy into woolly phrases like subject to contract as you really would need to give the agency a chance to amend the contract before turning it down, either accept it or tell them you'll decide next week after another interview or turn them down. Once they've handed it over to a company for your background checks you will in the HR system which means you'll be flagged up when you apply for any future roles.

Having said that 100 quid a day is quite a bit more so if you really think it will be long term you could take the risk. Just be aware of it. If you turn them down a day after you've accepted it's not such a big deal because they probably won't have started the checks.
          Last edited by BlasterBates; 19 October 2017, 11:48.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            Normally verbal agreement is the point where I would stop looking for a contract. Some contractors go on looking just in case it somehow falls through but this can even happen when you've actually started working, so I wouldn't personally see any point in doing that. I also don't buy into woolly phrases like subject to contract as you really would need to give the agency a chance to amend the contract before turning it down, either accept it or tell them you'll decide next week after another interview or turn them down. Once they've handed it over to a company for your background checks you will in the HR system which means you'll be flagged up when you apply for any future roles.

Having said that 100 quid a day is quite a bit more so if you really think it will be long term you could take the risk. Just be aware of it. If you turn them down a day after you've accepted it's not such a big deal because they probably won't have started the checks.
            IF you get the second. Tell the first you have been offered another role at £100 more. Say you aren't trying to play them against each other, and would prefer the first role but finding it difficult to say no to the substantially larger day rate. Ask em if they want to match it, if they do, accept (don't then go back to #2 asking for more)

Comment

Get the 2nd role. Invoke substitution on role 1! Boomed!

Comment

Originally posted by l35kee View Post
                IF you get the second. Tell the first you have been offered another role at £100 more. Say you aren't trying to play them against each other, and would prefer the first role but finding it difficult to say no to the substantially larger day rate. Ask em if they want to match it, if they do, accept (don't then go back to #2 asking for more)
                Doing that you are still reneging. If you agree with the builder to do your extension and he rings up and tells you he is still interested but another customer has offered him some work at a higher rate and you need to match it, I think most people would never ask that builder again for a quote.

It's the same if a bank dumps you as a contractor, you'll always favour other banks over the one that dumped you mid-contract.

That is simply the risk you take when you breach your contract.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Take both and sub out the boring bits of each role.

Comment

Go to the new interview until your onsite & have earned for the entire contract length anything can happen. I have had roles pulled the day before they was due to start so have many others. Do not however sign 2 contracts that is where you can get into financial trouble man up & be prepared for an uncomfortable call on the role you have to back away from!

Comment

From my experience recently (you can see some interesting posts on this in CUK) you need to attend interviews and even sign as many contracts until you reach your office desk!!

i signed a conditional contract month ago, then I had a second offer - which progressed fast & joined few weeks ago. If I was putting all my eggs on contract-1 I might have been still waiting for my SC clearance.

So attend interviews + sign as many contracts until you reach your office desk!!

Comment

Working...
                      X