Honour my contract with New Client or Go Ahead with another Interview for More Money? Honour my contract with New Client or Go Ahead with another Interview for More Money? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 28
  1. #11

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    That's a good point. He didn't state it but looking at the checks that have started etc you could assume he's accepted it verbally.

    If he's accepted it subject to contract review he's still got outs.
    I did accept verbally over the phone when the agent contacted me to say that the client would like to offer me the assignment. I never followed this up with '...subject to reviewing the contract' and neither did I do this in writing. So an extra £100 a day not worth p***ing of the client for then? In that case maybe I should cancel the interview.....

  2. #12

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    38,877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ziggystardust View Post
    I did accept verbally over the phone when the agent contacted me to say that the client would like to offer me the assignment. I never followed this up with '...subject to reviewing the contract' and neither did I do this in writing. So an extra £100 a day not worth p***ing of the client for then? In that case maybe I should cancel the interview.....
    I'm normally all for honouring agreements but others come on and say look after number one always. I must admit in this case 100 quid a day is a lot of money so even I'd push the boundaries for that.

    You are going to get your contract reviewed anyway aren't you? So that takes up to 5 days so I'd say you've nothing to lose to go to the interview. At least get two offers on the table before making a decision. Could be you don't get the gig or it's rubbish and you've no decision to make. If the new gig is a blinder it could be worth pissing the agent off. It's very unlikely they'll go legal so you'll just have to shoulder a very unhappy agent/client but 100 quid a day for what could be a long gig is a strong incentive to deal with that.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  3. #13

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    I'm normally all for honouring agreements but others come on and say look after number one always. I must admit in this case 100 quid a day is a lot of money so even I'd push the boundaries for that.

    You are going to get your contract reviewed anyway aren't you? So that takes up to 5 days so I'd say you've nothing to lose to go to the interview. At least get two offers on the table before making a decision. Could be you don't get the gig or it's rubbish and you've no decision to make. If the new gig is a blinder it could be worth pissing the agent off. It's very unlikely they'll go legal so you'll just have to shoulder a very unhappy agent/client but 100 quid a day for what could be a long gig is a strong incentive to deal with that.
    Where is the real NLUK and what have you done with him?

  4. #14

    More fingers than teeth

    BlasterBates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    1922 Commitee
    Posts
    13,371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ziggystardust View Post
    I did accept verbally over the phone when the agent contacted me to say that the client would like to offer me the assignment. I never followed this up with '...subject to reviewing the contract' and neither did I do this in writing. So an extra £100 a day not worth p***ing of the client for then? In that case maybe I should cancel the interview.....
    Normally verbal agreement is the point where I would stop looking for a contract. Some contractors go on looking just in case it somehow falls through but this can even happen when you've actually started working, so I wouldn't personally see any point in doing that. I also don't buy into woolly phrases like subject to contract as you really would need to give the agency a chance to amend the contract before turning it down, either accept it or tell them you'll decide next week after another interview or turn them down. Once they've handed it over to a company for your background checks you will in the HR system which means you'll be flagged up when you apply for any future roles.

    Having said that 100 quid a day is quite a bit more so if you really think it will be long term you could take the risk. Just be aware of it. If you turn them down a day after you've accepted it's not such a big deal because they probably won't have started the checks.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 19th October 2017 at 11:48.
    I'm alright Jack

  5. #15

    More time posting than coding

    l35kee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Normally verbal agreement is the point where I would stop looking for a contract. Some contractors go on looking just in case it somehow falls through but this can even happen when you've actually started working, so I wouldn't personally see any point in doing that. I also don't buy into woolly phrases like subject to contract as you really would need to give the agency a chance to amend the contract before turning it down, either accept it or tell them you'll decide next week after another interview or turn them down. Once they've handed it over to a company for your background checks you will in the HR system which means you'll be flagged up when you apply for any future roles.

    Having said that 100 quid a day is quite a bit more so if you really think it will be long term you could take the risk. Just be aware of it. If you turn them down a day after you've accepted it's not such a big deal because they probably won't have started the checks.
    IF you get the second. Tell the first you have been offered another role at £100 more. Say you aren't trying to play them against each other, and would prefer the first role but finding it difficult to say no to the substantially larger day rate. Ask em if they want to match it, if they do, accept (don't then go back to #2 asking for more)

  6. #16

    I Am Legend


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    100,919

    Default

    Get the 2nd role. Invoke substitution on role 1! Boomed!

  7. #17

    More fingers than teeth

    BlasterBates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    1922 Commitee
    Posts
    13,371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by l35kee View Post
    IF you get the second. Tell the first you have been offered another role at £100 more. Say you aren't trying to play them against each other, and would prefer the first role but finding it difficult to say no to the substantially larger day rate. Ask em if they want to match it, if they do, accept (don't then go back to #2 asking for more)
    Doing that you are still reneging. If you agree with the builder to do your extension and he rings up and tells you he is still interested but another customer has offered him some work at a higher rate and you need to match it, I think most people would never ask that builder again for a quote.

    It's the same if a bank dumps you as a contractor, you'll always favour other banks over the one that dumped you mid-contract.

    That is simply the risk you take when you breach your contract.
    I'm alright Jack

  8. #18

    Old Greg is my bitch's bitch

    northernladyuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Working the streets of your imagination
    Posts
    9,420

    Default

    Take both and sub out the boring bits of each role.
    Where there's muck there's brass.

  9. #19

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    702

    Default

    Go to the new interview until your onsite & have earned for the entire contract length anything can happen. I have had roles pulled the day before they was due to start so have many others. Do not however sign 2 contracts that is where you can get into financial trouble man up & be prepared for an uncomfortable call on the role you have to back away from!

  10. #20

    Fingers like lightning

    Darren_Test's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    724

    Default

    From my experience recently (you can see some interesting posts on this in CUK) you need to attend interviews and even sign as many contracts until you reach your office desk!!

    i signed a conditional contract month ago, then I had a second offer - which progressed fast & joined few weeks ago. If I was putting all my eggs on contract-1 I might have been still waiting for my SC clearance.

    So attend interviews + sign as many contracts until you reach your office desk!!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •