• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Honour my contract with New Client or Go Ahead with another Interview for More Money?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
    From my experience recently (you can see some interesting posts on this in CUK) you need to attend interviews and even sign as many contracts until you reach your office desk!!

i signed a conditional contract month ago, then I had a second offer - which progressed fast & joined few weeks ago. If I was putting all my eggs on contract-1 I might have been still waiting for my SC clearance.

So attend interviews + sign as many contracts until you reach your office desk!!
    You'll see the poster above also has posted a lot of crap in the past. He had a pretty unique situation that need to be taken on their own merits. It might have worked out for him this time (although we don't know the exact details as yet). That doesn't mean to say signing everything willy nilly is the right way to go.

This advice is questionable at best. I'd recommend ignore it as a sweeping generalisation.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 21 October 2017, 17:41.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      Normally verbal agreement is the point where I would stop looking for a contract.
      I made that mistake once. Never again.

Comment

Originally posted by ziggystardust View Post
        Three days ago I was offered a contract with a client (whom I have worked for 7 years ago) via an agency. Credit/vetting checks have been started, including a Disclosure Scotland and I have been given a preliminary start date of the 31st October. The agency has produced a contract which is ready to review/sign. So, the turnaround has been pretty fast.

In the meantime, I was also contacted three days ago, directly by a well known bank about another contract. Taking the view of alot of people on here that a gig is not a certain until your contract is signed and you're on site, I expressed my interest and, low and behold, was contacted yesterday with an offer of an interview today. Both contracts are a similar distance away, however contract 2 is not my usual type of gig, with a large part of what will be considered administrative but is offering £100 per day more than the first contract. Contract 2 would also be a direct relationship with the client. Having always worked through an agency in all of my previous contracts, I have no experience of a direct relationship, so not sure of the risk involved in terms of timely payments etc. with this particular client, or working directly for banks in general.

So my dilemma is, cancel my interview and honour the contract that I am currently going through final processing with and possibly damage any future relationship with this agency and client, or just go ahead with the interview and if offered accept? It would be good to get people's thoughts on this, similar experiences and risks involved.
        Put your own interests first. Only you can do that.

Comment

If you have already signed a contract, go ahead with that one and either give notice or fulfill the contract you signed. However, if you only verbally agreed, and hadnt yet signed the contract, you are within your moral and legal limits to actually pursue the better paying second one. This is business after all and you have to go for the deal that works out best for you.
          Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

If you have verbally accepted the offer then this will have been communicated to the PM and actually you are now legally bound to carry out that contract. .
            ... which is why, if you are accepting (verbally or in writing), you should always add "subject to contract"

Comment

Originally posted by fidot View Post
              ... which is why, if you are accepting (verbally or in writing), you should always add "subject to contract"
              Subject to contract should be done in good faith. i.e. finding a higher paying contract isn't "subject to contract".

At the end of the day you can do what ever you like, but if you renege on a contract you'll be treated in the same contempt that a contractor would treat a client who also reneged on their contract. I think any contractor would avoid any client like the plague if they agreed a contract and then dumped them just before they start. Equally expect the PM to avoid you like the plague. If it is an important client like a big bank that you would like in your portfolio of banks you work for on a regular basis then I wouldn't do it. If it is a small company in the back end of beyond, then who cares.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Subject to contract should be done in good faith. i.e. finding a higher paying contract isn't "subject to contract".
                Agree, but in this case, if I read it correctly, no contract has been supplied yet.

Comment

There is no written document.

So it is a case of who said what. Not worth the hassle from the agent's side.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                  X