• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Renewal / Rate Increase / Role Change

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1 Jack Kada View Post
    Can you share the news on April 2018. I ve not heard of that change
    hey sockie it's called taking a punt on what'll be in the autumn statement.

I don't think it'll happen in 2018 but it's pretty much a when not an if

Comment

Originally posted by 1 Jack Kada View Post
      Can you share the news on April 2018. I ve not heard of that change
      http://forums.contractoruk.com/futur...g-we-know.html

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
        Quote them an extra 100 pd and be prepared to walk.
        That has been offered without me asking for it, just rejecting the proposed straight up renewal due to "markets having moved" etc.

It's the first offer and I suspect there is another 25 hiding under the table - I know that I am held in high regards and seen a potential key man, not only to immediate projects but wider org changes.

I am not sure whether to play the I'm-a-tough-businessman negotiating game of never accepting the first offer, or be the dutiful-submissive-IT-worker and not look the proverbial gift horse in the mouth.

I am fairly certain there's another 25 but maybe it would seem greedy/petty to quibble over? How would you approach it?
        Last edited by aft; 15 December 2017, 09:06.

Comment

I suggest you pull out your contract and carefully draft an email:

my contract said I do x,y and z

The work now requires I do x,y,x + a, b and c

In addition I contributed towards the project being delivered blah, blah blah and helped secured next project for consultancy.

If they tell you to stick then get another gig or lump it.

We all think we are underpaid and there's always rumours of other guys being paid £2k per day.

Personally my contracting approach is about longevity and I've taken lower rates to stay in contract on occasions. In 12 years I've only had a few involuntary weeks on the bench.

Everyone has diffferent agenda's and approaches to contracting but there is some sound advice from other posters about the way you view youself and IR35

Comment

Originally posted by aft View Post
            That has been offered without me asking for it, just rejecting the proposed straight up renewal due to "markets having moved" etc.

It's the first offer and I suspect there is another 25 hiding under the table - I know that I am held in high regards and seen a potential key man, not only to immediate projects but wider org changes.

I am not sure whether to play the I'm-a-tough-businessman negotiating game of never accepting the first offer, or be the dutiful-submissive-IT-worker and not look the proverbial gift horse in the mouth.

I am fairly certain there's another 25 but maybe it would seem greedy/petty to quibble over? How would you approach it?
            There is a school of thought which goes 'Leave the last 10% for the greedy bastards'. On the other hand, 25 pd if 5k p.a. pre-tax, so not trivial. On balance I would probably take the 100.

I've got a renewal conversation coming up in January with a change of role (more a confirmation of the role I'm actually doing). I have developed the project cost model do I know there's a potential extra 30% under the table, and I have alternatives.

Comment

Working...
            X