• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Upwork

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upwork

Joined Upwork as there weren't that many members currently offering my field of expertise however you get paid in US dollars, not sure if it's aimed at UK.

Anyone a member of this and gotten paid, how did you do it and any tax implications?

TIA

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Only experienced doing a small project there for a US startup that was prepared to pay going rates, must have been 4 years ago now when it was known as Elance. Taxation as a Limited is as simple as doing business with any US contract - no VAT etc.

I haven't used it since, as it's a race to the bottom, the worst combination of "clients" (chancers) wanting everything for the VERY lowest prices, for which seemingly thousands of Indian and Eastern European sweet shops are prepared to work for.

If you're a serious contractor I wouldn't waste your time and maybe consider other options like YunoJuno etc.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
      Only experienced doing a small project there for a US startup that was prepared to pay going rates, must have been 4 years ago now when it was known as Elance. Taxation as a Limited is as simple as doing business with any US contract - no VAT etc.

I haven't used it since, as it's a race to the bottom, the worst combination of "clients" (chancers) wanting everything for the VERY lowest prices, for which seemingly thousands of Indian and Eastern European sweet shops are prepared to work for.

If you're a serious contractor I wouldn't waste your time and maybe consider other options like YunoJuno etc.
      Cheers may close it down and take a look at YunoJuno.

qh

Comment

YunoJuno only based in London & New York at the moment.

qh

Comment

"Toptal" seems to be a higher rates freelance site but I have no experience myself to report.
          Last edited by TheGreenBastard; 18 November 2017, 09:05.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
            thousands of Indian and Eastern European sweet shops are prepared to work for.
            I suppose it's better than them being turned into Sainsburys and Tesco locals...

Comment

I researched these quite extensively a while back - there are numerous similar platforms. In the end I also got the impression that it's a race to the bottom with rates, and there's a hell of a lot of time spent chasing new business which ends up being just a few hours/days. Only a tiny fraction at the very top manage to match average UK contractor rates.

Still good income for many parts of the world. If I were younger, without a family and fancied working form a Caribbean beach for a year, I'd certainly go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zylon View Post
                I researched these quite extensively a while back - there are numerous similar platforms. In the end I also got the impression that it's a race to the bottom with rates, and there's a hell of a lot of time spent chasing new business which ends up being just a few hours/days. Only a tiny fraction at the very top manage to match average UK contractor rates.

Still good income for many parts of the world. If I were younger, without a family and fancied working form a Caribbean beach for a year, I'd certainly go for it.
                Have you actually tried living in the Caribbean? I can safely say that it isn’t cheap ~ heck Scandinavia is cheaper to eat out in
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Found that upwork and other sites was full of professionals from India that would massively undercut what I thought was acceptable and therefore I struggled to get any work. A few contacted me and asked me to match their rate which was around half what I had quoted and wasn’t really worth my time.

Comment

Working...
                  X