• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Difficult start to contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difficult start to contract

Hi,

I went in to contracting (programming) earlier this year and started off with a brilliant contract which was extended from 3 months to 6 months. I was riding high with confidence and was congratulating myself on the decision to go contract.

I was under no illusions that some contracts were going to be more difficult than others but I wanted to garner a bit of advice due to my lack of experience.

I've just won my second contract and 3 days in I'm in a bit of a quandary about whether to continue with it.

Having signed the contract, the start date was delayed by a week due to the company deciding that they needed a document completed regarding my right to work in the UK (I am British)

On my 3rd day, they asked me to sign a document allowing them to make background checks (fair enough, but I'm surprised that I didn't have to do this prior to signing and starting the contract)

The recruitment agent has also sent me a request to sign off on them also running background checks on me. Basically, it says "we can check anything from any agency" regarding your personal details.

I'm a little concerned that this is all happening after I've actually started work and I'm unhappy as I don't know who will end up holding the results of those checks given that it states that the information may also given to related entities where applicable.

Lastly, having arrived at said place of work there is little for me to do. The complicated distributed systems are archaic, the dev teams are silo'd and no-one is really giving me any information or help in getting started on any of the work items. I didn't even have local admin rights on my PC until day 3!

Should I just buckle down and hope for the best or get out if it all smells wrong? Any advice from the battle hardy would be much appreciated.

B

It sounds like usual Agency/client incompetence to me. The real alarm bells sound if they start mucking you about with invoices and payments.

You were just lucky with your first contract really.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      You were just lucky with your first contract really.
      Totally this!!
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Keep calm, carry on invoicing....

Comment

Some contracts you can do f*** all for months while they sort stuff out. It’s very frustrating but if you’re being paid not an issue. If they’re paying you they’re happy.
          And after stuff gets sorted you can do actual stuff, provide real value and smile.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Same old same old. My last but one contact neglected to mention I had to get SC clearance until I started.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

Looks like I need to remove the rose tinted specs and crack on then!

Comment

Originally posted by compedomp View Post
                Thanks for the responses.

Looks like I need to remove the rose tinted specs and crack on then!
                Your original post sounds like contractor BAU to me.
                Such a situation can actually turn out to be very profitable
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by compedomp View Post
                  Lastly, having arrived at said place of work there is little for me to do. The complicated distributed systems are archaic, the dev teams are silo'd and no-one is really giving me any information or help in getting started on any of the work items. I didn't even have local admin rights on my PC until day 3!

Should I just buckle down and hope for the best or get out if it all smells wrong? Any advice from the battle hardy would be much appreciated.

B
                  You see instantly I see something you could do to add value. Just document the steps required to start working so that when the next person starts everyone knows what is required and things can be set in place quicker...
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

My first contract has turned out to be very similar. You should count yourself lucky that you had admin access by day 3. Nearly 7 months in, and many of the pre-reqs I need to deliver are still not in place, in a project that is almost certainly going to fail.

Comment

Working...
                    X