• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent acting dodgy, how would you respond?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would let the client and agency sort it out. Find out how much the agency are charging the client. When the client sacks the agency and wants you to go direct, up your rate.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
      We are of course presuming the client HR aren't being numpties and have checked what their contract says.
      Pretty much why we've advised to stay out of it. It's a client to agency matter; only get involved when you're dragged into it. You don't know what the upper contract says and if you're being billed for full days no matter how long you're on site, it may or may not be legitimate as per the upper contract.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Oh and make sure you have ways above timesheets to prove you were at Clientco in your last month, otherwise the agent may try to rip you off.
        How do you reckon I can do this?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          What do Clientco HR propose to do?

I was in a vaguely similar situation before. Clientco HR forced the agency to re-imburse all affected contractors. The agent got sacked.
          And this is another reason why you should be very concerned about such a situation. Your agent's ability to pay your invoices is only as good as their cashflow, and such huge bills (and subsequently being sacked) does nothing to help it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            What does your contract say about billing - is it by the hour, half-day or day? What does the contract between the client and the agency state about billing?

At the end of the day, it's nothing to do with you as long as you are invoicing the agency correctly. How the agency processes your invoice is a matter for the agency and client to resolve.
            That is a very purist contractual view. From a reputational perspective, it is very much to do with you.

Any contract I've ever had has had a daily rate for a PWD with no mention of half-days, but common sense has always prevailed when half a day is worked, recorded in a timesheet and represented in an invoice.

If the agent is behaving like this, I would be showing the end client my timesheets and invoices.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
              I would let the client and agency sort it out. Find out how much the agency are charging the client. When the client sacks the agency and wants you to go direct, up your rate.
              Another reason to show your invoice to them so they know what the margin is (if not defined by PSL terms).

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                That is a very purist contractual view. From a reputational perspective, it is very much to do with you.

Any contract I've ever had has had a daily rate for a PWD with no mention of half-days, but common sense has always prevailed when half a day is worked, recorded in a timesheet and represented in an invoice.

If the agent is behaving like this, I would be showing the end client my timesheets and invoices.
                There may be a clause in the contract which states you can't tell the clientCo how much you earn.

I personally always get that clause removed pointing out if clientCo management responsible for payment ask I will tell them as the agency don't have anything to hide and no-one else as it is none of their fecking business.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  There may be a clause in the contract which states you can't tell the clientCo how much you earn.

I personally always get that clause removed pointing out if clientCo management responsible for payment ask I will tell them as the agency don't have anything to hide and no-one else as it is none of their fecking business.
                  Sod the clause. Let the agency sue for damages.

Comment

An interesting thread

Humour me, under what scenario would any client agree to regularly pay a full day rate knowing the compactor is only working half a day.
                    That seems an act of folly or desperation.

Surely they could give him/her a broom or something to make use of the paid time, obviously assuming broom operation is included in said contract.
                    Or at least expect what they are paying for to me sitting bored rigid at a desk whilst twiddling their thumbs

Blooming weird this contracting lark. I have to deal with deranged and delusional psychotractors in foreign parts others get in this sort of confusing muddle,
                    So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Originally posted by DallasDad View Post
                      An interesting thread

Humour me, under what scenario would any client agree to regularly pay a full day rate knowing the compactor is only working half a day.
                      That seems an act of folly or desperation.

Surely they could give him/her a broom or something to make use of the paid time, obviously assuming broom operation is included in said contract.
                      Or at least expect what they are paying for to me sitting bored rigid at a desk whilst twiddling their thumbs

Blooming weird this contracting lark. I have to deal with deranged and delusional psychotractors in foreign parts others get in this sort of confusing muddle,
                      5 hours was considered to count as a full day on one of my past contracts.
                      It was written in.
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X