• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract with some international travel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boo View Post
    This is like drawing teeth.
    Or like talking to a brick wall - your ideas on IR35 are woefully ignorant.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
      Yes, and accepting their policy will put you firmly in the IR35 caught category.

MyCo has a standard contract which quotes three separate prices for work inside the UK,
      Boo
      No it wont. Often Delloite and Accenture consultants get their travel booked through the client if they insist. It doesn't make you their employee.

Comment

Had a few meetings overseas this year for my current client. My company pays upfront for all costs (flights, hotel, taxis etc etc) and then I submit my expenses (plus VAT) to the agency as a standard invoice. Personally, I would not dream of charging overtime for inconvenience or travelling.

Now I know a few here will be adamant to bill for every second stating you don't work for free etc but good business for me is give and take. For example my client has advised I do not need to meet them this week so I can work from home.

My last trip was a once in a lifetime opportunity to meet my clients customer in their HQ. Great experience and given the opportunity again I would pay for the trip myself.

Comment

Originally posted by coolhandluke View Post
          Had a few meetings overseas this year for my current client. My company pays upfront for all costs (flights, hotel, taxis etc etc) and then I submit my expenses (plus VAT) to the agency as a standard invoice. Personally, I would not dream of charging overtime for inconvenience or travelling.

Now I know a few here will be adamant to bill for every second stating you don't work for free etc but good business for me is give and take. For example my client has advised I do not need to meet them this week so I can work from home.

My last trip was a once in a lifetime opportunity to meet my clients customer in their HQ. Great experience and given the opportunity again I would pay for the trip myself.
          This... Anyone who wants overtime for every second of travel wont be in business for very long. A fine balance has to be struck. I charge when I need to travel before noon on a Sunday in order to be on time for Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyQuinn View Post
            This... Anyone who wants overtime for every second of travel wont be in business for very long. A fine balance has to be struck. I charge when I need to travel before noon on a Sunday in order to be on time for Monday.
            Usually if I left at 12:30 or so travelling in my own time on a Sunday, I will usually be leaving 12:30 for the trip back on a Friday (which would be a full paid).
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
              Usually if I left at 12:30 or so travelling in my own time on a Sunday, I will usually be leaving 12:30 for the trip back on a Friday (which would be a full paid).
              My current client gets upset when I travel on a Sunday night. They seem to think I'm having a jolly at their expense rather than the reality, which is a miserable Sunday night slog so I'm in the office at 0900 (to then find out the people I'm there to meet, who only have 10 miles to travel, can't make it because of reasons).
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                My current client gets upset when I travel on a Sunday night. They seem to think I'm having a jolly at their expense rather than the reality, which is a miserable Sunday night slog so I'm in the office at 0900 (to then find out the people I'm there to meet, who only have 10 miles to travel, can't make it because of reasons).
                Yeh, its the sort of thing you have to get clear from very early on, preferably prior to starting, or at least plant the seeds prior to starting.

i.e. what your lists of demands are to facilitate what they want.

In this case, I made it clear I was happy to attend an 8AM meeting Monday, but would have to fly over Sunday and they would have to pay extra for the Sunday night.
                In addition to make this time back making everything fair and square I would leave at lunch time Friday, but invoice for a full day.

Business class flights from London City (10 minutes away from my flat at the time)
                An executive room with free bar at certain hours.
                Full compensation for all expenses (no stingy limits set)

in fact the couple of times I decided to stay the weekend there, they still paid for the hotel and my expenses, as they said they saved money compared to the flights

And yes in that particular instance it was a feckin' fine jolly
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

If I have to leave home before 7pm on a Sunday for a flight, I’ll bill for the day.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    If I have to leave home before 7pm on a Sunday for a flight, I’ll bill for the day.
                    Yeh, fair depends on how you organize it.

As I said I charged a full day for Friday, even though I left at 12:30 (lunch time).

However, I was a little younger and free and single then, I may drive a harder bargain now.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Yeh, its the sort of thing you have to get clear from very early on, preferably prior to starting, or at least plant the seeds prior to starting.

i.e. what your lists of demands are to facilitate what they want.

In this case, I made it clear I was happy to attend an 8AM meeting Monday, but would have to fly over Sunday and they would have to pay extra for the Sunday night.
                      In addition to make this time back making everything fair and square I would leave at lunch time Friday, but invoice for a full day.

Business class flights from London City (10 minutes away from my flat at the time)
                      An executive room with free bar at certain hours.
                      Full compensation for all expenses (no stingy limits set)

in fact the couple of times I decided to stay the weekend there, they still paid for the hotel and my expenses, as they said they saved money compared to the flights

And yes in that particular instance it was a feckin' fine jolly
                      Tell us more about the free bar? I had a client once that would give you an allowance for a meal in the hotel that specified no more than two alcoholic drinks. The hotel had an offer where you could buy two 250ml glasses of wine and fit the rest of the bottle free. So you could get a bottle of wine and burger and chips at the bar. Which of course I did every night.

Comment

Working...
                      X