• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interview abroad - claim flight expense?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interview abroad - claim flight expense?

Hello and Happy Boxing Day! Apologies if this is a silly question BUT...My husband and I are both contractors with our own ltd company. We have been thinking of working in Oz for a year or two and have been offered interviews (and sponsorship if successful) with a company our friend owns in Sydney. Does anyone know if we are able to claim the cost of our flights for the interviews? We wouldnt be working via our ltd company if successful with the move.

Thank you.

Originally posted by Toddo1980 View Post
    Hello and Happy Boxing Day! Apologies if this is a silly question BUT...My husband and I are both contractors with our own ltd company. We have been thinking of working in Oz for a year or two and have been offered interviews (and sponsorship if successful) with a company our friend owns in Sydney. Does anyone know if we are able to claim the cost of our flights for the interviews? We wouldnt be working via our ltd company if successful with the move.

Thank you.
    No. The flights would need to be wholly and exclusively for your business.

As you will not be working for your company it's a definite no. Even if you were, if you were making a holiday of it, the answer would still be no.

Sounds great though - good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Toddo1980 View Post

Thank you.
      Flights? To Aus for an interview!? I know a couple of people who've had telephone interviews UK to Aus and got the jobs without having to leave their house. Asking about flights for 'an interview' is just taking the piss. IMHO.

Comment

Flying to Sydney to visit your friends can't be put on your company expenses legally.

If you are serious about a job interview, then it should be done as a Skype call or telephone interview.

...nice try, though.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

But seriously...

Ignoring the obvious socky, if it was a genuine interview why not?

If I am to fly to Aus to tout for business on clientco's behalf they can expense it. If I fly to Aus to tout on behalf of my business I can't?

Of course this is academic because I have left the UK again. Then again, I have to pay for flights now, so am curious.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post

If I am to fly to Aus to tout for business on clientco's behalf they can expense it. If I fly to Aus to tout on behalf of my business I can't?

Of course this is academic because I have left the UK again. Then again, I have to pay for flights now, so am curious.
            This has to be the most stupiest comment. Ever. It totally fails to take into account what is or may be claimable by an Australian (or any other country's) business, is or may be different to what a UK company can claim.

Just because you are companies on different companies doesnt mean both claims are allowable.

Comment

Because the OP stated that it was with the intention of winding up their company and moving to Australia.
              It's not about touting for business, it's about emigrating (personal), and starting up a new life (personal) and finding work.

(Oh and Hello CFL! )
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                B
                (Oh and Hello CFL! )
                Why hi there! It has been a while.

Comment

To answer the academic question. If it’s wholly and exclusively etc etc then yes.

Fly out out monday, meetings wed/thu fly home Friday. I think you can justify that.
                  You could even commute........ you’d manage 3 weeks before you become a statistic.
                  Last edited by Lance; 31 December 2017, 10:36.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    Flying to Sydney to visit your friends can't be put on your company expenses legally.
                    Rubbish - there is nothing illegal about putting the flight through the business. Show me the law that prevents this.

Whether the flights attract a benefit in kind charge is a different question, but there is nothing illegal about operating this way.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X