• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IT contracts in Canada

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IT contracts in Canada

I am an IT contractor (Big Data) in London UK , my present daily wage is £600 . I also have a Canadian permanent residence. I am tired of the housing and transport situation in London. I went to Canada last year for a short visit was impressed with the standard of living (big roads, big houses, huge 4x4 cars). I am keen to move there, however I have noticed while searching for a similar contract role in Canada that there aren't as many IT contract roles in Canada as in London UK and also the companies don't pay as much in Canada as they do in London. If anyone has any experience of IT contracting in Canada please share your thoughts here. Also, would you move to Canada if you were earning a similar wage as I am?

Originally posted by greypanda View Post
    I have noticed while searching for a similar contract role in Canada that there aren't as many IT contract roles in Canada as in London UK and also the companies don't pay as much in Canada as they do in London. If anyone has any experience of IT contracting in Canada please share your thoughts here. Also, would you move to Canada if you were earning a similar wage as I am?
    You're spot on about the market in Canada - I looked some years back and found that the market just wasn't there at all for someone with my skillset so we gave up looking.

A move to Canada isn't going to be about the money, though, it's surely about the lifestyle as you have already noted. If you want to be in Canada for the reasons that you've mentioned then taking a pay cut is a small price to pay for all that, isn't it? If you want the best of both worlds then that's not going to happen there.

If there was a job market there that enabled me to maintain the same standard of living that I have here, I'd be off like a shot.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Wage?

Comment

Canadian PR (like UK ILR) can expire too when out of the country a certain period (two years for ILR).

Comment

I have done similar searches, as I would consider a move to Canada.

* I don't think they have the contracting model they have in the UK, you would be a 'permy'
          * To get a job market like London, you would need to be in the Toronto area, thats where lots of the big fico's have

If you get one, let me know I would love a job in Canada, ideally Edmonton or Calgary, certified Big Data person here too!
          Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
            I have done similar searches, as I would consider a move to Canada.

* I don't think they have the contracting model they have in the UK, you would be a 'permy'
            * To get a job market like London, you would need to be in the Toronto area, thats where lots of the big fico's have

If you get one, let me know I would love a job in Canada, ideally Edmonton or Calgary, certified Big Data person here too!
            I have been offered a few roles in Canada (up to 120k per year) which I have all turned down as they were all permanent roles. I am not particularly finding difficult to find a permanent role in Canada. It's just that when I compare it with my current daily wage in the UK I get bit disappointed. Also, I get bored working for the same employer (work gets repetitive after sometime usually 3 months) and therefore I work on a contractual basis.

I also have Alberta province as my preferable destination Calgary especially.

Comment

It's just that when I compare it with my current daily wage in the UK I get bit disappointed.
              Try looking at the cost of living, not just the daily rate.

How much will a property cost you to buy/rent?
              How much is fuel, etc?

£600k will get you this: https://www.point2homes.com/CA/Home-.../50287010.html or this 3 bedroom semi-detached house for sale in Markenfield Road, Guildford, Surrey, GU1

Petrol is 78p a litre, compared to £1.21
              etc
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Greypanda, we are thinking of moving too. For more or less similar reasons

Let's keep in touch please

Comment

Contracting in Canada.

I contracted in Canada on a PR. Was based in Vancouver. Job market is very different out there. Contracting is seen more as a temporary thing until you find a perm job.
                  As everyone out there does a tax return. Unlike our PAYE.
                  And Canadians prefer to meet face to face. So expect to network alot to land a role.
                  As for what you can earn that depends on your skills and experience.
                  Canada is a big country and you have to look at each province, Almost as seperate countries. What goes in BC will be very different to Ontario.
                  You can incorporate provincially or federally. And taxes are calculated seperately for both.
                  Out there it is known that the main places to work are Toronto Vancouver, Calgary, Ottawa and Montreal.
                  And there was a saying "Canada is one of the biggest countries in the world and everyone lives in 5% of it!!'
                  Cost of living is dificult to compare to the UK.
                  But Food, insurance, property tax and health care costs more.
                  Comparing a new prefab house on the outskirts of calgary to a house in Surrey England is not a fair one.
                  You also have to compare costs of living based on what you can earn. Not as a tourist.
                  You also have to seriously look at the climate.
                  Calgary is cold in winter.I was driving to work in April and was listening to the weather for west canada and it said Calgary highs of -10c
                  We enjoyed our time in Canada but decided it was not going to work for us long term.
                  Oh also houses might look massive. When infact people rent out floors to help pay the bills. They are called duplexes or even fourplexes.
                  Last edited by mall; 10 January 2018, 12:42.

Comment

...I went to Canada last year for a short visit was impressed with the standard of living (big roads, big houses, huge 4x4 cars)...
                    This might also be noticed by anyone moving to the North of England.

Comment

Working...
                    X