• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Whistle blowing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whistle View Post
    Thanks radish but just to be clear neither I nor the company I am contracting with has anything to do with the fraud. I came across it during a supplier review (the first one I had done on this supplier) and it related to false accounting they had been doing apparently over a number of years. In the UK, unless you are in a regulated profession (I am not) there is no legal obligation to report fraud and from what I have read you do not become an accessory after the fact from not reporting something. There is certainly a moral obligation and as a citizen and a taxpayer I do feel that the supplier should not be allowed to get away with this. As I said above, I don't want to be left exposed if this all goes tits up.
    You are aware of a serious crime (serious fraud) and have not reported it. Good luck with trying to explain it's nothing to do with you and you're not required legally to do anything.

And if you're so sure you have nothing to fear why are you trying to get incriminating evidence against your FD ?

Plus, reporting it is simple.

Go do it now

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
      You are aware of a serious crime (serious fraud) and have not reported it. Good luck with trying to explain it's nothing to do with you and you're not required legally to do anything.
      And if you're so sure you have nothing to fear why are you trying to get incriminating evidence against your FD ?
      Whistle has reported it. Proving Whistle did not do the right thing would be impossible. And would deter other whistle blowers coming forward.

Whistle has plenty to fear. From the FD.

Its easy to tell other people what to do. Far harder to do it yourself.

Of course those are just MY opinions. Whistle is entitled to follow my opinion. Or your opinion.

If HMRC want more co-operation then I suggest a few steps.
      1. No retrospective legislation.
      2. No lying to parliament. And an apology where they have done so.
      3. Proactively stopping schemes as soon as they are made aware(instead of doing nothing).

I might add that as an IT business owner I feel continually under attack from HMRC and am treated as a glorified typist. Though, to be fair, some of that is down to the lack of opposition they face. Maybe I should join IPSE.

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post

Plus, reporting it is simple.

Go do it now

Get off your high f****** horse. OP is in an awful situation; and very well done for your sarcastic email, really useful in the business/professional forum. Bore off to General - k-thnx-bye.

If it all colossally blew up in OP's face (which I doubt it will) and he ended up explaining himself to HMRC, when posed the question "You knew about this 9 days before you reported it, so why wait?" - "Well Hector, as I explained the FD told us not to report it, I have a family to feed, a house to pay the mortgage on, and I didn't want to lose my contract. I required sufficient evidence to report my findings and confirm my suspicions."

Gathering additional information to report something sinister doesn't make you an accessory.

OP you're doing the right thing in my eyes. People opinions may differ and please do remember the advice here is worth everything you paid for it - i.e. nothing. I may be entirely wrong about this, and so may others be, but I personally think you're handling it in the correct manner.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          some of that is down to the lack of opposition they face. Maybe I should join IPSE.
          Sorry I thought you wanted opposition?

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
            Get off your high f****** horse. OP is in an awful situation; and very well done for your sarcastic email, really useful in the business/professional forum. Bore off to General - k-thnx-bye.
            Hmmm.

Comment

Bit harsh eh ?

OP isn't in an awful position. He has placed a higher value on protecting himself and his income whilst trying to pretend he really wants to blow the whistle under a moral obligation

Can't have it both ways.
              Last edited by radish2008; 8 January 2018, 09:48. Reason: spelling and added a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by whistle View Post
                I came across a significant tax fraud (around £1m) being undertaken by one of our long-standing suppliers, and brought this to the attention of the Finance Director. He investigated and agrees that there was almost certainly a fraud being perpetrated by the supplier, and instructed us to terminate them immediately which we have done. However, he does not want to notify the tax authorities as he is concerned that this will affect the backhanders that he gets paid.
                FTFY.

Comment

As BP said, step one is to protect yourself. Recorded conversation with the FD or a follow up email getting him to say "no, I don't want you to do anything with this" in writing.
                  "Excuse me, Mr. FD. Would you send me an email that puts your a*se on the line whilst covering mine? Thanks muchly.".

Good luck with that.

Comment

I'm pretty sure HMRC was already watching this forum for any IR35 and 90% retention threads, now we have a £1M tax fraud thread. The stuff these guys can learn from just reading this forum. The mods can expect an email from HMRC soon demanding IP addresses and email of the OP.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                      I'm pretty sure HMRC was already watching this forum for any IR35 and 90% retention threads, now we have a £1M tax fraud thread. The stuff these guys can learn from just reading this forum. The mods can expect an email from HMRC soon demanding IP addresses and email of the OP.
                      I'm pretty sure it would need a court order to be legally enforceable. And getting a court order needs evidence.
                      Mind you HMRC may well ask admin who wants to be next for an IR35 investigation if they don't get an IP....
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X