• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Job in Zurich

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Job in Zurich

Hi all,
    I know there were previous discussion about this, but it seems little bit older.
    I have got a job in Zurich with a daily rate of CHF 620 (plus employer’s contributions, that is an approximate all-in rate of CHF 694).
    I have 8y+ experience in financial services.
    They want me to move to Switzerland for one year. I was wondering if it is a good daily rate or not for Zurich, I have been there and it's really expensive, and how much could I take home net per month (excluding insurance and everything I need to consider to settle there).
    Moreover, do you know what "all-in rate" means please?
    Thanks indeed

Been answered many times already. Go to google and type in something like zurich site:forums.contractoruk.com
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Been answered many times already. Go to google and type in something like zurich site:forums.contractoruk.com
      Yeah you are right. I have looked for that already in this forum but most of the people are not living in Switzerland but travelling from the UK. Which means everything different.
      If possible would like to have a fresh feedback about this. Lots of post I have found are quite old.

Comment

Originally posted by fahbb View Post
        Yeah you are right. I have looked for that already in this forum but most of the people are not living in Switzerland but travelling from the UK. Which means everything different.
        If possible would like to have a fresh feedback about this. Lots of post I have found are quite old.
        Nothing much has changed. You can get the rate in GBP and it's still hellishly expensive.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by fahbb View Post
          Hi all,
          I know there were previous discussion about this, but it seems little bit older.
          I have got a job in Zurich with a daily rate of CHF 620 (plus employer’s contributions, that is an approximate all-in rate of CHF 694).
          I have 8y+ experience in financial services.
          They want me to move to Switzerland for one year. I was wondering if it is a good daily rate or not for Zurich, I have been there and it's really expensive, and how much could I take home net per month (excluding insurance and everything I need to consider to settle there).
          Moreover, do you know what "all-in rate" means please?
          Thanks indeed
          All-in-rate is the amount the client pays, less the profit of the agency. This is, notionally, your daily rate. From that is deducted employer social contributions, employer mandatory accident insurance, employee social contributions, payroll fee, holiday and sick pay allowances, mandatory pension deductions, and tax.

There are online tax calculators (google for them), but they're likely to give you a higher figure than actual. As rough guess, I'd reckon your take home is 400CHF a day.

Enough to live on, and certainly more than the average income, but for contracting a bit crap. It's not much higher than the expected permie rate.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I looked at it a while ago OP and in fact asked the very same question you did. IMO you have to be on around 50 percent more than the rate you're going in at to make it worthwhile.

Comment

your rate should be at least CHF1000 to be better off then a £450 pd rate in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                your rate should be at least CHF1000 to be better off then a £450 pd rate in the UK
                That's the conclusion I came to 3 years ago, and declined the interview. In favour of a less hassle, less travel UK Contract for the same sort of residual money after expenses.

Comment

Originally posted by Pherlopolus View Post
                  That's the conclusion I came to 3 years ago, and declined the interview. In favour of a less hassle, less travel UK Contract for the same sort of residual money after expenses.
                  I actually don't get out of (let's say not 1000CHF but less) 700CHF per day, how could you save same money than UK.
                  It's around 10K CHF net per month that is 120K per year. Lets say 20K gone for house/room whatever. How could you waste 100K left. Can we try to do it on high level. Cant understand how much would be left out of those 100K.

Thanks

Comment

I worked and lived there for a few years. First of all, that rate is low. Very low. You could survive ok on 800 a day maybe, but I never took less than 1100 a day and billed as high as 1400 a day.. Eating out, drinking out, buying clothes - it's all brutally expensive there. Rent is ridiculous. But oddly enough, groceries and public transport is relatively cheap. There is no NHS, so you're required by law to pay for health insurance unless you can prove you're covered.

Not sure what rate you've been used to here, but I'll say it again - you're getting boned at that rate.

Comment

Working...
                    X