• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BigBrother! Monitoring software.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I worked at a client that did stuff for the government, everything was locked down - pain in the arse. I actually wanted to research stuff at home but could not take anything related off site or email myself it. I could only access certain websites that I managed to get approval for. No one spoke and the coffee machine was two steps away from my desk. The highlight of my day was walking to the toilet. I expect my pc was also monitored.

They sounded surprised when I said no to the contract renewal.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post

I presume there's a way of slowing the paste action down so code appears line by line, then the typing is theoretically within keyboard limits.
      #!/bin/bash
      # data file
      INPUT=/path/to/input.txt

# while loop
      while IFS= read -r -n1 char
      do
      # write one character at a time
      echo "$char" >> /path/to/outputfile
      sleep 0.5
      done < "$INPUT"
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

or one of these with a real mouse

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          or one of these with a real mouse

Get out before it's too late....!

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            Try talking to them and explaining why you are walking, and point out the GDPR consequences of their actions.

You never know, they might actually listen...
            Whilst I'd normally be all for trying to reason things out with a client before just walking out on them, in cases like this, where the client has really gone this far in intruding, big-bother style, into every waking minute of their employee's (and, even worse, contractor's) time, they're also far beyond trying to reason with. By all means, tell them why you're walking out when you do so, but don't expect them to understand or care.

Comment

HSCB implemented a monitoring app whilst i was there last year.

"Workplace Yoga" they called it.

Arbeit macht frei sprang to mind. :nazi:

qh
              He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

GTFO

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                  HSCB implemented a monitoring app whilst i was there last year.

Arbeit macht frei sprang to mind. :nazi:

qh
                  I think that was for permies. Some I work with have to cover their working day with logged activities.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                    Whilst I'd normally be all for trying to reason things out with a client before just walking out on them, in cases like this, where the client has really gone this far in intruding, big-bother style, into every waking minute of their employee's (and, even worse, contractor's) time, they're also far beyond trying to reason with. By all means, tell them why you're walking out when you do so, but don't expect them to understand or care.
                    But we don't know that the client has gone to far - the OP just googled the software capabilities, then heard rumours from staff (who had probably just done the same thing). There is no evidence as to what level he software has been implemented.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post

Comment

Working...
                      X