• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flown to the UK for a contract, but informed on arrival the contract cannot yet start

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Sounds like Hays just cannot be bothered now. Id be surprised if this contract happened now.

They lied to you up front, possibly its fallen through, they don't care its caused you hassle. Personally, I wouldnt have commited to being more than £10 out of pocket with these idiots unless it was sorted.
    A lesson from this is to confirm matters directly with the client. Do not rely on the agency. It's obvious, of course - any third party, especially those with their own agenda, cannot necessarily be relied upon, and so in matters of importance cannot be relied upon.

Comment

Is this thread by a sockie? i really cannot beleive the what's gone on here.

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
        I doubt it. I have had vaguely similar - however not in the same league atall.

I am sure it has been said many times - agents will lie.

Comment

No this is quite a common scenario. The mistake OP made was to fly in on a Friday ? You really should have made plans to land in on Sunday evening and in my opinion the agent did give you enough notice but you were in mid air to take notice!

I agree with Psycho though, I doubt this contract will happen. Forget it, move on.
          Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

No, I'm a real, actual person. The only strings being pulled are those by millions of years of evolution built into the older brain, and that's plenty enough to try to deal with, without adding more =-)

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
              No this is quite a common scenario. The mistake OP made was to fly in on a Friday ? You really should have made plans to land in on Sunday evening and in my opinion the agent did give you enough notice but you were in mid air to take notice!
              How can that be? they had already told me the contract was signed. That's not a "maybe". It was the requirement I gave them for taking the flight. There is no scenario once that has been said where they can be or not be giving me enough notice - we are no longer in a "notice" scenario.

I agree with Psycho though, I doubt this contract will happen. Forget it, move on.
              Anyways - I wanted to complete the thread so people knew what happened.

The contract did happen, I was there for three and extended once for three more, at which point I was happy to stop and they also were done with the project.

Comment

Originally posted by Toebs2 View Post
                Anyways - I wanted to complete the thread so people knew what happened.
                2 years, 3 months later, we get an update!

I've been on the edge of my seat!

Comment

Working...
                X