• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Left contract after 2 1/2 weeks. Do you put in on CV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I only put years on mine, so a two week gig spanning Dec and January would go down as a two year one on my CV.
    I only put cat years on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by wparkar View Post
      The programme manager was in the school of 'let's just roll it out ASAP and deal with the sh*t when it hits the fan'
      It is almost reassuring to know that other people have to deal with this kind of nonsense, and its not just me.
      Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
        "Client has 20 leaking pipes. You want to fix the 3 which if burst could bring the whole building down, but client says no, fix the 10 smaller ones"

If your brief is to help the client prevent a water-based building disaster, then no.

If your brief is the wholly D&C-trapped, "Do what you're told to do, exactly how you're told to do it", then yes.
        You fix the 6 pipes however you want to, but you fix the 6 pipes, otherwise chaos.

Comment

Originally posted by l35kee View Post
          You fix the 6 pipes however you want to, but you fix the 6 pipes, otherwise chaos.
          No.

There's 10 leaking pipes, any one of which remaining leaking will bring the building down. Client has engaged my services to prevent the building going down, but client gives me enough material to fix only 6 pipes.

At this point, I'm telling the client I need more material, right now, in order to fix all 10 leaking pipes, or the building will go down. If client refuses to provide that further material, I walk before even attempting any work.

I'm walking on the basis that no matter which 6 of the 10 leaking pipes I fix, I cannot prevent the building going down and therefore cannot complete the client's brief successfully, through no fault of my own due to arbitrary client constraints that can only result in failure of the original brief, by anyone foolish enough to attempt it.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
            No.

There's 10 leaking pipes, any one of which remaining leaking will bring the building down. Client has engaged my services to prevent the building going down, but client gives me enough material to fix only 6 pipes.

At this point, I'm telling the client I need more material, right now, in order to fix all 10 leaking pipes, or the building will go down. If client refuses to provide that further material, I walk before even attempting any work.

I'm walking on the basis that no matter which 6 of the 10 leaking pipes I fix, I cannot prevent the building going down and therefore cannot complete the client's brief successfully, through no fault of my own due to arbitrary client constraints that can only result in failure of the original brief, by anyone foolish enough to attempt it.
            You're overestimating the plumbers role on the project. There are many other people working, and the objective of the project may be to stop the building going down, but the plumbers objective is to fix leaky pipes.

The other contractor, an Electrician has already been asked to cut electricity supply (how he cuts that supply, is down to him) to the area of the building with the 3 leaky pipes to reduce the risk of death if they blow. The project has decided they are willing to risk the unoccupied side of the building (yes unnocupied, as a contractor brought in to fix leaking pipes, you don't know the whole story) to make sure that the smaller, area with many smaller but easier to fix leaky pipes (conveniently where the CEOs office is) is secured.

How you fix the leaky pipes (tape, new pipes, glue, chewing gum) is down to you.

Comment

You're overestimating the plumbers role on the project. There are many other people working, and the objective of the project may be to stop the building going down, but the plumbers objective is to fix leaky pipes.

The other contractor, an Electrician has already been asked to cut electricity supply (how he cuts that supply, is down to him) to the area of the building with the 3 leaky pipes to reduce the risk of death if they blow. The project has decided they are willing to risk the unoccupied side of the building (yes unnocupied, as a contractor brought in to fix leaking pipes, you don't know the whole story) to make sure that the smaller, area with many smaller but easier to fix leaky pipes (conveniently where the CEOs office is) is secured.

How you fix the leaky pipes (tape, new pipes, glue, chewing gum) is down to you.
              PMSL at your username - are you in fact a plumber?

Comment

Originally posted by SeanT View Post
                PMSL at your username - are you in fact a plumber?
                LOL

Comment

Billybiro is correct in his analogy. @l35kee, Yes there are other people working on the project but they take guidance from the plumber. If the plumber says fix 6 pipes, they will only fix the 6 pipes. The problem was there was no one else to take responsibility for the other 4.

Comment

Also I love the fact everyone is sticking with the plumbing analogy. Makes me chuckle

Comment

What about the endless pipe things on Facebook? Which cup will fill up first and does anybody care?

Comment

Working...
                      X