• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Left contract after 2 1/2 weeks. Do you put in on CV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Left contract after 2 1/2 weeks. Do you put in on CV

Hi all.
    So I recently left a contract after only 2 and a half weeks working there. It wasn't a right fit. I was bought in as an SME (Subject Matter Expert)/PM for a software rollout.
    The programme manager was in the school of 'let's just roll it out ASAP and deal with the sh*t when it hits the fan' whereas I am of the school 'This is the Sh*t that is going to hit the fan. Let's figure out a way to minimise/stop it before we go ahead.'
    Suffice to say our schools couldn't play together and so we parted ways.

My question is do I (or would you) put this contract on your CV?

A) Yes- and have to answer the questions as to why it was so short.
    B) No - and then have to answer what I have been doing for the last month (time working + time looking for said job).

Thoughts???

No, it was just a few days non-bench time.

It’s not worth the energy that you’d need to explain the story to the next agent.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Presumably you have a CV packed full of more successful contracts so can afford to skip this one? If, so treat it like your skillset, only include what you want to use going forward, to avoid unnecessary hassle.

If you need to flesh out the CV then you could include it, being economical with the truth and hope an agency doesn't bother to check up on references (they may only want to get their foot in the door not find out how you actually did, so you may be lucky), saying you finished it early but not why. How long does it take for a 'subject matter expert' to get their expertise across anyway. This my be more feasible if your contracts are typically short (a few months) so it won't stand out as much.

Though if your CV is light, i.e. not had many contracts yet, then falling out over the 'best way forward' is not a good way to build experience. You sometimes need to practice the art of 'Keep Calm and Carry On Invoicing". Some clients are hell bent on burning to the ground, just don't be the one holding the match.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

To be honest, the contract sounded like a good challenge, experience outside of your comfort zone. I've have stayed and further developed my "soft" skills.

Comment

Who's to say it wasn't always intended to be a 2.5 week contract? Or maybe it was a 2 week contract, but they asked you to do an extra 2 days, because they were so impressed with your brilliance?
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Be truthful, say you were unable to follow the client brief as you would rather do your own thing in the office

Comment

No everything under 2 months I leave out as there is no useful experience in such a short period. When being background checked for banks etc I do mention it in the forms I need fill out for it to cover the gaps

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                You sometimes need to practice the art of 'Keep Calm and Carry On Invoicing". Some clients are hell bent on burning to the ground, just don't be the one holding the match.
                Agreed and usually i can keep calm and carry on but when they keep throwing the burning match to me....and as much as I wanted to see them try to fix it when it does go up....I got out.

My CV is quite padded. Majority with long contracts, last couple have been 3 months but have been successful 3month projects.

Might just leave this one out.

Comment

I only put months on my CV, so a two week gig could span Dec and January so would go down as such on my CV
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

No, don't put it on the CV. You obviously don't consider it to be a success and 2.5 weeks makes no difference either way.

Comment

Working...
                    X