• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie with some questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Contractors who are out the door at 5PM on the dot are the first to be binned.
    I'm really strict about time in and out of work - 99% of the time I do the contractual hours and no more.

I tend to find that the contractors that get binned are the ones who deliver services of a poor standard, or fail to deliver anything.

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
      I'm really strict about time in and out of work - 99% of the time I do the contractual hours and no more.

I tend to find that the contractors that get binned are the ones who deliver services of a poor standard, or fail to deliver anything.
      And once they are gone who's next?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        And once they are gone who's next?
        Not sure I understand you.

Comment

Not sure I understand you.
          that's because it's 5.30 PM and we're discussing who's next on the exit list.

Fancy a guess?
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

that's because it's 5.30 PM and we're discussing who's next on the exit list.

Fancy a guess?
            If I understand you correctly, I'd rather be on my way home than in the office gossiping about the renewal prospects of those who have left for the day!

But this is getting a little OT.

Comment

If I understand you correctly, I'd rather be on my way home than in the office gossiping about the renewal prospects of those who have left for the day!

But this is getting a little OT.
              who said it was gossip. Hiring managers tend to be around later than 5.30.
              Anyway. Each to their own.

I do a professional working day. It might be 6 hours, it might be 10 hours. If it hits 12 hours I often bill for an extra half day.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by PermMCCon View Post
                working through your lunch unpaid happens sometimes, plus late working to help on a particular tight deadline
                This is not the scenario being described, making the rest of your post irrelevant.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I do a professional working day. It might be 6 hours, it might be 10 hours. If it hits 12 hours I often bill for an extra half day.
                  The OP is on an hourly rate.

If you were on an hourly rate, would you work extra hours every day and not get paid for them?
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    The OP is on an hourly rate.

If you were on an hourly rate, would you work extra hours every day and not get paid for them?
                    If I was hourly I'd work the hours to do the best job and bill for the hours.
                    If the budget won't stretch to the extra hours then I wouldn't do much on a Friday.

I've never been on an hourly rate though and would treat those roles with suspicion.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I've never been on an hourly rate though and would treat those roles with suspicion.
                      Interesting...why would you 'treat those roles with suspicion' ?

Comment

Working...
                      X