• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie with some questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie with some questions

Hi everyone,
    I have browsed the forums and have had found some useful information.
    I have some questions and was hoping to get some experienced insight.

I've started my first contract, its for an agency that is hired by Y for me to work at Z (clients base).
    I'm on an Hourly rate and contract work week is 37.5 hours, 6 month contract.

Questions:

1. Am I expected to work any extra(overtime) unpaid, if so what is an acceptable amount in terms of flexiability 30mins extra a day? an hour? 2 hours? - and not expect to get paid for these hours? The perms on my team stay at least an extra hour or two a day at the office. To clarify my hours are 9-5.30, but the perms work - 8.30 - 6.30/7

2. I get an hour for lunch(unpaid) the team I work with eat at their desks and work through their lunch hour, would I be inclined to do the same?

3. I have 2 holidays booked and need a week off for each of them, during the period of the contract, any advice on how I could make up for the lost time? My position doesn't offer or require WFH. Ideally I would like to salvage the loss of hours in those weeks by working for the client (side note, they know I'm going away for one trip, but the one following it is a month after and I have yet to tell them about that, thought I might be sick that week).

4. Also my manager has made it known (already) that they will probably offer me a permanent position at some point, but money wise it wouldn't make sense for me to accept the perm offer, is there anyway I could stay at the job for the length of the contract, but also decline/delay the perm offer (when it comes) without offending the client? Ideally I just want to do the contract, and then move onto the next contract.

Sorry if this post is lengthy, but I assumed lots of detail would help when it comes to giving your expert/experienced advice.

Thank you for your help on here and sorry to be that newbie with those 'beginners' questions, but I would appreciate any help.

Hi there, I've moved your post to the business & contracts section in the hope that you will get some good responses.

Originally posted by antoniojos View Post
    1. Am I expected to work any extra(overtime) unpaid, if so what is an acceptable amount in terms of flexiability 30mins extra a day? an hour? 2 hours? - and not expect to get paid for these hours? The perms on my team stay at least an extra hour or two a day at the office. To clarify my hours are 9-5.30, but the perms work - 8.30 - 6.30/7
    Are you on a daily rate or an hourly rate?

2. I get an hour for lunch(unpaid) the team I work with eat at their desks and work through their lunch hour, would I be inclined to do the same?
    As a contractor you do not "get an hour for lunch", you take time off for lunch, whether that is 5 minutes or 2 hours.

3. I have 2 holidays booked and need a week off for each of them, during the period of the contract, any advice on how I could make up for the lost time? My position doesn't offer or require WFH. Ideally I would like to salvage the loss of hours in those weeks by working for the client (side note, they know I'm going away for one trip, but the one following it is a month after and I have yet to tell them about that, thought I might be sick that week).
    If you are a contractor and you take sick, you don't get paid. You might also want to check the terms of your contract about unauthorised absences.
    When you say "make up for the lost time" do you mean the lost income, or because of the amount of work you have to do?

4. Also my manager has made it known (already) that they will probably offer me a permanent position at some point, but money wise it wouldn't make sense for me to accept the perm offer, is there anyway I could stay at the job for the length of the contract, but also decline/delay the perm offer (when it comes) without offending the client? Ideally I just want to do the contract, and then move onto the next contract.
    Sure you can decline a permanent role, but it might be best to get towards the end of the contract before working that one out.

Other things to note:
    Are you working through your own limited company or through an umbrella? Have you got an accountant?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Far too much permie thinking here. You need to start thinking like a business with a client. If you can get your head around that many of the questions like these will start to fall in to place.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

ohh yes

Hi everyone,
        I have browsed the forums and have had found some useful information.
        I have some questions and was hoping to get some experienced insight.

I've started my first contract, its for an agency that is hired by Y for me to work at Z (clients base).
        I'm on an Hourly rate and contract work week is 37.5 hours, 6 month contract.

Questions:

I got a plumber in to fix my taps we agreed it would take him 1 hour to fix them for £50

When he was finishing off, I asked his to work late and tile my bathroom for free (another 2 hours)

He jumped at the chance to work for free, he said he knew an electrician that could come round and work for free also.

He told me every self employed person he knew worked for free.

Ohhh hang on, what he really said was Sure I can tile my bathroom for another £300 - I dont work for free, i am a business not a charity

Go home at 5pm every night on the DOT !!!!

Comment

@WTFH

Thanks for moving my questions to the appropriate section - much appreciated.

'Are you on a daily rate or an hourly rate?'
          - I'm on an hourly rate.

As a contractor you do not "get an hour for lunch", you take time off for lunch, whether that is 5 minutes or 2 hours.
          - Ok, so its to my own discretion, but either way I won't be paid for the hour.

When you say "make up for the lost time" do you mean the lost income, or because of the amount of work you have to do?
          -I'm losing income, so I would like to somehow make up for it, any suggestions on how I could approach this?

Are you working through your own limited company or through an umbrella? Have you got an accountant?
          I'm working through a limited company, as it's my first week, still filtering out a good accountant.

northernladuk
          'Far too much permie thinking here. You need to start thinking like a business with a client. If you can get your head around that many of the questions like these will start to fall in to place'
          - It's my first contract in over 10 years, I was a permie, so I'm here to learn from you guys/girls how to starting thinking more like a business'

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
            I got a plumber in to fix my taps we agreed it would take him 1 hour to fix them for £50

When he was finishing off, I asked his to work late and tile my bathroom for free (another 2 hours)

He jumped at the chance to work for free, he said he knew an electrician that could come round and work for free also.

He told me every self employed person he knew worked for free.

Ohhh hang on, what he really said was Sure I can tile my bathroom for another £300 - I dont work for free, i am a business not a charity

Go home at 5pm every night on the DOT !!!!
            Thanks for your response! Duly noted.

Comment

Expected by whom? You'd have to determine the expectations of the client on whether you should work for free or not. If you mean "do I have to work for free" then the answer is no. However, you might consider whether the possibility of a lengthier contract outweighs the cost of an extra hour or so here or there. Regularly working for free is not something I would recommend unless the rate is enormous.

Only you can tell us whether you are inclined to do that or not. It's up to you about what you do.

You're either working or not, the location is neither here nor there. Since the client expects you to be in their office, you either work that time or you don't - you cannot have your cake and eat it. ANd faking illness is a really dumb idea.

Yes - you wait until you have something to discuss and then decline it. It's fairly simple. By then you will know how to deal with the client and how to speak to them.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Companies use "free work" pressure as a means to getting more out of their staff, dangling the carrot of bonuses and promotion as a way to get it.

You do not have to do any of that.

That being said, you will get some client managers who may well expect similar behavior from you.

That is where it can get uncomfortable. You do not have to of course, but that might have a ripple effect on extensions etc.

How you handle that type of stuff is up to you.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  You're either working or not, the location is neither here nor there. Since the client expects you to be in their office, you either work that time or you don't - you cannot have your cake and eat it. ANd faking illness is a really dumb idea.

Thanks for your response.

Just want to clarify: the faking illness - I assumed taking 2 one week holidays in a six month contract is something the client would frown upon or it may be a problem (ie they might cut the contract short).

I might seem overly cautious, but this is my first contract so I want to make a good impression and last the duration in order to get my business going and move on to more contracts.

Comment

"I'm not being paid" " I'm losing income" Theoretically yes, but being a contractor, you should be earning considerably more. Bit too much permie thinking if I may say so. Try not to look at it that way.

By working through lunch, putting the effort in etc, you are building up a reputation as a hard worker, someone willing to go the extra mile etc. All this may help with talks of an extension come round and if not will give you confidence in any new role.
                    We got the Oystons out like we said we would

Comment

Working...
                    X