• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Immediate Notice for First Week?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Afternoon all... this is my second year of contracting and I'm about to commence my third one, but have a question around the notice period wording.

"xxxxxx shall give the Service Provider immediate notice in the first week, reverting to 28 days’ notice of termination thereafter."

Is this normal in other contractors views, as I've not seen it worded like this in my previous two contracts.

Thanks for all your thoughts on this, and have a great weekend!!!

Not seen it in any contract I've signed. I'd challenge the 28 days, not the one week instant dismissal.

Comment

Doesn't seem unreasonable - in the first week, they can bin you immediately. After that they need to give you 28 says notice.

I wouldn't worry about it.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I’ve seen similar. I wouldn’t worry. It means they can bin you immediately if they really don’t like you.

What would you prefer? You can negotiate the terms with them.

I prefer no notice either way.

Edit —- argh too slow again

Comment

I never worry too much about notice periods - they're still under no obligation to actually provide work, and therefore pay you.

And, honestly, how many people do actually get binned before renewal.

Comment

Get your contract reviewed and take the advice of the professional reviewing it. Simples.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
              I never worry too much about notice periods - they're still under no obligation to actually provide work, and therefore pay you.

Happened to me before.

I wouldn't sign another contract with a 1 week notice period ever again because of it.

Having said that immediate notice for your first week only is only a problem if you're aggressive or smell.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post

Lots. Not a lot you can do if the project funding is withdrawn.

Notice periods are for permies. They can safely be ignored for contractors 99% of the time. And they have no relevance to renewals.

All assuming, of course, that you are paying proper attention to IR35...
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Get your contract reviewed and take the advice of the professional reviewing it. Simples.
                  This ^

I had exactly these notice terms in a contract from Hydrogen. Passed QDOS review.
                  When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Funnily enough I start a contract in a couple of weeks with a day's notice in the first week then a week's notice for the rest of the duration.

Really can't get excited about contract lengths or notice periods anymore. I had a contract finish early before Christmas because they had funding cut and have had a couple where they keep extending you for a month then give you a week's notice when the work run's out.

Never happened to me (touch wood!) but I have seen people who didn't fit in leave on the spot after a meeting.

Do the work to the best of your ability and don't worry about the rest as it isn't up to you.

Comment

Working...
                    X