• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lunch expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You mean an app that will give you a kick up the arse and do things in time so not to create a mess of your own making? Beats me. I'd stick to Grindr if I were you.
    No I mean an App that'll let me scan them as I get them, so I don't just end up stuffing them in my wallet. Something which will then consolidate them into something any accountant can use - excel/CSV/abacus...

Amazingly I don't carry my laptop around everywhere I go. I do, however, have my phone handy most of the time.
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
      You do realise that you only need to produce receipts to claim if its above the daily allowance & its genuinely staying overnight away from home otherwise just keep the receipts somewhere safe no need to produce unless asked to.
      You’re right insofar as you’re only ever going to be asked to produce receipts if you have a tax enquiry but no harm in scanning and keeping digital copies of your receipts. The physical ones will fade. You must keep receipts to back up any out of pocket expense claims though.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
        No I mean an App that'll let me scan them as I get them, so I don't just end up stuffing them in my wallet. Something which will then consolidate them into something any accountant can use - excel/CSV/abacus...

Amazingly I don't carry my laptop around everywhere I go. I do, however, have my phone handy most of the time.
        There’s a search function on all the app stores.... try some and see which ones fit.

Comment

Thanks, but I was hoping for a recommendation, otherwise we could just replace this whole forum with NLUK constantly replying: Have you tried googling.... Have you asked your accountant.....

Oh.... No.... Wait.....

And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

FWIW I spent ages trying different expense tracking apps and services to see if I could find something that worked how I liked and ideally integrated with FreeAgent. I even contemplated writing my own. In the end I couldn’t find anything I was happy with which is why I now just enter them directly in FreeAgent. The official FreeAgent iOS app helps a bit.

Comment

Office Lens works quite well and will upload straight to onedrive, also straightens them and trims them...

Comment

I use CamScanner for taking photos of receipts - and then I upload them to OneDrive.

Comment

I thought lunch expensing when at your normal place of work was a no-no. Is according to SJD.

Comment

You can use Expensify to do this very easily, it's £3.50 a month and does exactly what you want to, including databasing all the receipts, producing PDFs per month, and export into the format of your choice (with custom columns and what have you) for upload into other systems/accountants

It also lets you scan as you go and they OCR (and occasionally manually read) each entry and have it uploaded with image, date, amount, merchant, VAT amount etc within a few minutes.

I can't recommend it highly enough.
                    Last edited by PerfectStorm; 15 February 2018, 21:43.
                    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
                      I thought.
                      That is your problem right there.
                      Last edited by northernladuk; 16 February 2018, 08:05.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X