• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

To refuse or not refuse an extension offer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I completed the work I was contracted to do.

Not hard really.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Do you have loads of cash available to keep paying yourself?

I would just keep billing unless I was on a mountain of cash or could easily pick up a better rate.

At the end of the day time on bench is what destroys your annual earnings.

Spend 6 months with permies thinking you're a rich git. Spend 6 months on bench and end up just making the same amount of money as the permies after all.

I wouldn't worry too much about explaining you're on legacy work. They're not exactly going to find out otherwise if you say you were on some greenfield projects.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I completed the work I was contracted to do.

Not hard really.
        Different contracts, different circumstances. I'm talking about extensions anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Smackdown View Post
          Do you have loads of cash available to keep paying yourself?

I would just keep billing unless I was on a mountain of cash or could easily pick up a better rate.

At the end of the day time on bench is what destroys your annual earnings.

Spend 6 months with permies thinking you're a rich git. Spend 6 months on bench and end up just making the same amount of money as the permies after all.

I wouldn't worry too much about explaining you're on legacy work. They're not exactly going to find out otherwise if you say you were on some greenfield projects.
          Yeah, there's always that risk. But I was thinking since this is a contract it's bound to end anyway. Say I got a 6 month extension. I'd face the risk of being benched after that too.

It's a tough decision. Anyway, I have some more time to think about it. So will keep weighing pros and cons.

Comment

If it helps, your next gig will only know what you tell them.

They don’t need to know you spent days without writing code.

Learn new tech or keep up with practice with them - and just put on your CV you did what you wish you were doing.

It’s lying of course, but if you know your tulip and have been practicing it anyway, the next client will probably not care if you get the work done well.

You can just say you were doing what you did in a previous gig, so it doesn’t look like your role devolved. No one is going to actually check what work or tech you used - as long as your competent at them you’ll have no issues

Comment

Originally posted by 1manshow View Post
              If it helps, your next gig will only know what you tell them.

They don’t need to know you spent days without writing code.

Learn new tech or keep up with practice with them - and just put on your CV you did what you wish you were doing.

It’s lying of course, but if you know your tulip and have been practicing it anyway, the next client will probably not care if you get the work done well.

You can just say you were doing what you did in a previous gig, so it doesn’t look like your role devolved. No one is going to actually check what work or tech you used - as long as your competent at them you’ll have no issues
              Believe me people check, references are sought and if they find out you have lied which is what a fe posters here shockingly seem to encourage you can be fired on the spot

Do not lie on your CV - I am surprised you were not taught that at school

Comment

Originally posted by 1 Jack Kada View Post
                Believe me people check, references are sought and if they find out you have lied which is what a fe posters here shockingly seem to encourage you can be fired on the spot

Do not lie on your CV - I am surprised you were not taught that at school
                Yes references are sought - but if you think a company will give up info on tech, the project, specific work employee did or otherwise to the new employer / you worked for some dodgy companies.

Eg if I did full onC# development, then went to another company and was really just doing support C# dev (basic), no way would I put on my CV I’ve just done basic C# if in previous roles I’ve done end to end c# dev from scratch. And no, no one will ever find out no matter what rubbish you may wish to spew.

I don’t want to talk about what’s ethical, just know when you apply you are competing with people who did this majority of the time (with no repercussions).

It’s only dumb to state you know how to do something which you can’t as when you at the interview or when you start the job, it will become apparent.
                Last edited by 1manshow; 17 February 2018, 16:38.

Comment

Originally posted by NobotTheRobot View Post
                  The problem is I'm entirely unsatisfied with the project.
                  I've not read any further than this - you're unsatisfied, so leave.

Life is to short to deal with projects like this.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    I agree with others - it shouldnt matter but I'd say clients/agencies do think like this. i.e. extensions are good. I've been in contracts where it was never ever going to be extended because that was clear from the start - so its a little unfair.
                    Seems so far that the majority of this Forum (which I hope is well populated with reliably informed risk-takers) agree that 'sucking it up and serving your time so you look good to bonehead recruiters/clients' is the best option.

Makes me a little scared for my future if that's the case (I'm a Fullstack dev with good grasp of DevOps concepts/practices based in London if that helps for context).

Whilst I can proudly say I've always received an offer of an extension, that may not be clear on my CV. Out of the 4 contracts I've had in just over 2 years running my Limited Company my longest engagement with a client has still been shy of 1 year. I do genuinely start to worry that I may look a bit 'flighty' at best, though I've not been out of contract for more than 6 weeks thus far and I've generally moved from one to the next.

I'm also hoping this series of short engagements makes me reasonably Hector-proof from an IR35 point of view, though understand it's blinkered and naive to make an IR35 assessment based solely on this one factor (think I'm pretty good at IR35 and tax compliance due diligence anyway, and I'm one of the 'paranoid ones' that has taken up QDos TLC35 product from day one)

My take on it is this; I'll stay with a client whilst I can add value but I also need to ensure I'm developing my business (read-keeping myself marketable in the ever-evolving world of software delivery). The way I see it, as a Director I'm obliged to exercise my skill and judgement for the benefit of the Company. (Pretty sure thats the law).

There may be hairy moments, and I've very recently landed on the bench with a bump but I'm hoping(!) all will work out for the best relatively soon. Seems to be enough out there in London to match my skillset, and I'd be doing my Company a disservice if I didn't try to negotiate the best rate possible at the moment.

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    I've not read any further than this - you're unsatisfied, so leave.

Life is to short to deal with projects like this.
                    Must say, I agree 100% with the sentiment here, but I guess it depends on what you want from the contracting lifestyle. I chose to dive in with both feet, taking calculated risks and seem to be reaping the rewards thus far BUT I had a raft of good experience in my field and a decent war-chest build up (which, thankfully, is still growing) before taking the plunge. I also don't have any dependants (well, none of the two-legged variety anyhow!).

Can totally understand different people have different situations, but my take on the matter is if you willing to stick around being unhappy just to satisfy other people you'd may as well go perm right?
                    Last edited by SicsyBoy; 21 February 2018, 01:01.

Comment

My current position is: Do NOT accept an extension unless something changes in the conditions. If I move to different projects and the contract becomes more fulfilling then it would be the best of both worlds. But if that's not possible I'm not planning to risk my future for short term benefits. If I don't keep up with the latest technology I'll be out of the game so that's not a risk I'm willing to take. If not having an extension is a negative factor so be it. I don't think I'll starve to death just because of that.

Comment

Working...
                      X